Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCCA homologation of new Caterham Spec

Default SCCA homologation of new Caterham Spec

It looks like a much newer spec Caterham chassis and engine are being homologated for E Production in SCCA, see the spec below. Anyone know Aaron Hall who has requested the homologation?
    Wide chassis, 1" wider wheels, cycle wings, Sigma engine, this spec sounds like a real improvement over what SCCA allows in EP now!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

James:

Isn't the proposed Sigma 1.6 liter engine less powerful than the currently approved 2.0 Zetec?
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

In stock form the Sigma 1.6L has about the same hp as the Zetec 2L but less torque, I suspect it will have similar hp but less torque in its race form. I think the similar hp, lower allowable weight and what I have to think as better handling will make this the car to have. I really think the SCCA is going to have to allow owners of existing Caterhams to go to cycle wings and the wider tires, and the different ratio gearboxes.

Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery Innnnteresting!
    But Not Funny!

I think the change is made because the ZETEC is getting a little hard to find.
    The origional ZETEC is getting long in the tooth.

But I would like to see some bigger tires in this car. It looks a little goofy with the thirteen inch rubber

Guys:

I am impressed. You appear very receptive to this possible change, even tho it would seem to make your carefully prepped Cats obsolete, or semi-competitive?
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

To be truthful, I am a bit concerned about my car being "old school" but I realize that there are very few of us out there flying the flag.
    On the other hand, having raced against the "most legally modified" Cat in the East and seeing that his car has some durability issues and even though he has "Many many hours behind the wheel of Caterhams" I was still able to drive with him and, in the end, prevail.

In the real scheme of things. The SCCA regional races now give out a $.10 cent checkered flag for the Sunday race only(you get nothing for winning the Saturday race) and we are there to have fun and swap the lead a few times during the race. My mission is to unload the car, race the whole weekend, Not have to fix things on the car till midnite, and pack it all up and do it again the next week.

Sure I want to win..... I'll fight like a demon to do it. But I will do it clean and I'll do it without putting myself or anyone else in danger.
    I kinda like my competitors to get out of their 2nd place cars and smile that we "Had A BLAST!!!" And look forward to racing with me again.

I know that this seems like a fools dream, but I have been doing this for three years like this and I am enjoying the ride.

Oh I need to address the weight thing.
    The SCCA says that my car must weigh 1460 lbs after the race.

I cant even get close. The officials now joke "YOU Weigh ENOUGH! Ha Ha"
    I usually weigh in at #1510 and it is ALL my fat ass that gives me the 'Movable" weight advantage.

Enjoying flying the CAT flag. and until the purses get better...... meaning if they EVER give something worth hurting myself for (NOT) I just want to enjoy the thrill of driving this Go-Kart

I welcome the update and the wider chassis, I just want to see that SCCA will allow the older chassis to remain competitive. It is not a perfect science but at least we need the cycle wings, wider tires, and maybe another point of compression to keep up.

Who is Caterham's SCCA lobbyist? I get the impression that Mazda has one.
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

No is lobbying for Caterham except the people who race them and compared to Mazda we are round error!