Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caterham SV Flood Car up for Auction

Default Caterham SV Flood Car up for Auction

http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp...emNumber=44856

This car belonged to a friend and was advertised on this forum awhile back before it became a victim of the September floods. It was built with a new Focus SVT engine and has 6,200 miles on it.

There was no physical damage but the water was dash level high. The auction company has drained and replaced fluids and changed the spark plugs and it is a running, drivable car according to them.

Bidding is at $10.5k with reserve not met. Bidding closes on December 30th at 2:47 PM CST. The title will be branded as Salvage/Insurance Loss.

If I had the bucks I would be bidding on it.

Any more info on the flood damage that the owner is willing to share? How long did it sit in the water? How bad was the mud damage? Pictures make it not look so bad - albeit lots of risk in what you cannot see.

Any idea what the reserve price is?
    Life happens while you're making other plans
    1995 Caterham Crossflow RHD
    1990 Miata
    2013 Mini (Her's)

No idea on the reserve. Not much mud as it was inside and water wasn't flowing through it. All three of his cars that were flooded in the same shop have been cleaned up and are running. I don't know how long they were in the water.

If you are serious about bidding on it I can give you contact info to talk to the former owner. He no longer owns the cars, the insurance company has paid him off and consigned them to the Crazy Ape auction company.

He pointed out that the frame needs to have some drain holes drilled in it and get flushed out and dried as water can seep in around the pop rivets holding the sheet metal on the car.

His Kirkham Cobra is also up for auction at http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp...emNumber=44909
    Last edited by scannon; 12-26-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Curious...
    Where was the flooding near Kingman AZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hill View Post
    Curious...
    Where was the flooding near Kingman AZ?
    The flooding was in Colorado, this car was in Longmont, Colorado. Kingman is where the auction company is located that the insurance company chose to consign the car,

scannon,

Your thoughts on this car?
    Stalker V8, chassis #85

Stalker Chassis #85 Build Gallery
    Stalker Chassis #85 Owner Thread

Get up in the morning and give the day your very best. You donít get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by xcarguy View Post
    scannon,

Your thoughts on this car?
    If the car could be bought for $15k or less and I had the spare cash I would buy it, go through it and fix whatever needed replacing, but I don't really need two Sevens. The car has 6,200 miles on it and was not driven hard, at least when I was blatting with it.

The salvage title will affect resale value, how much I don't have any way to judge. If you want a good car to keep and not worried about selling it any time soon and the price was right then go for it.

That said, the car has been underwater and you may end up with a car that will have problems down the road.

Here's the original thread when the car was put up for sale a few years ago then taken off the market, there are a few pictures including one under the bonnet.

http://usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7240

The auction company charges a 7% buyer's fee added to the winning bid for sales between $10k and $30k (max of $1,050) plus a $50 document fee and will collect your local sales tax.
    Last edited by scannon; 12-27-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Added buyer's fees

Hi Skip,

Thanks for the information on this car. When you say water was dash high, was it to the bottom or top of the dash? Just wondering if all the gauges and controls were under water.

Thanks,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
    Hi Skip,

Thanks for the information on this car. When you say water was dash high, was it to the bottom or top of the dash? Just wondering if all the gauges and controls were under water.

Thanks,

Matt
    I don't know the answer to that one. I have a call into John to get the answer and will post it later.