Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CSR with non-Cossie Duratech

Quote Originally Posted by Kitcat View Post
    Thx Bruce-I thought I had a dry sump system. When you say "charged" and "on" that means...? Apparently its fool-proof.
    Yours is. There is a solenoid-operated valve that opens when you turn on the ignition. At that point, the pressurized accusump is pre-lubing your engine, pushing stored oil through the engine. When you start the engine, oil-pressure generated by the oil pump pushes oil back into the Accusump, and everything equalizes. During periods of oil starvation, the Accusump provides a steady supply of oil, unless it exhausts the volume of oil in the Accusump cylinder.

BTW Kitcat - to check your oil:
    1) With the engine hot, rev @3000RPM for 10-seconds
    2) Shut off engine while revving
    3) Wait 45-seconds
    4) Check oil on stick - should be in the middle of the hashed area

Otherwise - if the car has been idling for a while, or, you shut the car off and then turned on the ignition, the accusump will fully or partially drain (2-3 quarts) into the crankcase. This will show either a high or normal oil level when, in fact, the engine sump will be low at operating RPMs.

-Bruce
    P.S. This is the case with any Accusump-equipped car
    Beachman Racing
    Authorized Caterham Cars dealer

Thx Bruce, most informative. I have been putting 6 quarts in the system at oil changes, hopefully that is ball park?
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Civic, Type-R

Bruce,
    Thanks for all the info on wet vs. dry sump differences.

Any idea of approximate difference in price between Duratec/Zetec with wet sump/accusump set up vs. same engine with dry sump?

I know for me since the car would replace a race car and definitely be tracked, I'd probably want the dry sump set up. Pretty impressive however that the accusump protected the engine so well for 25 hrs!

While I'm asking, approx. difference between one of the above engines dry sumped and the 2.3 Cosworth?

Thanks to everybody for all the info,

Jim A.

We're in the planning stages of a 200HP non-Cosworth option, and cost reduction is a primary success factor. So - we'll have an answer for you in the coming weeks. This discussion thread is to gauge interest and requirements.

As a reference point, by the time the dust settles with exchange rate, shipping, and duty, a Cosworth CSR 2.3L (a fully prepped engine, ready to be dropped in, including roller barrel intake, accessory drive, clutch, etc.) will likely cost between $16-$18K.

With a 200HP target, the goal is to provide a more financially approachable package that is drop-in compatible with the CSR vehicle kit.

With regards to dry sump vs. wet sump costs - I have yet to run across a dry sump system that did not cost at least $2K, once all of the plumbing and ancillary parts are factored in. And that seems to be independent to vehicle marque.
    -Bruce
    Beachman Racing
    Authorized Caterham Cars dealer

Those numbers sound about right. I'm considering a switch out of my Rover K for a Duratec and looking at just the go fast parts alone, not including the base motor, you get up into the 5 figure area very quickly. I guess it's like the old saying "how fast do you want to go? how much money do you have?"

It's just ashame that all the money goes into going faster on the straights, as any seven is quick in the turns.

Tom
    Mangia bene, Ridi spesso, Ama molto, Guidare veloce

2000 Caterham Superlight #123
    1.8L VHPD Rover K Series
    2009 Caterham SV
    2.3L Cosworth Duratec

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBe View Post
    We're in the planning stages of a 200HP non-Cosworth option, and cost reduction is a primary success factor.
    Aside from a set of cams (and maybe valve springs), a free flowing intake and exhaust, and a tune, what else do you anticipate?
    -Andrew
    Build Log

+1
    Stock 2.3 with 2.0l pistons and ITB's should be good for 195 give or take.
    Main cost issue is the reliable and effective oil supply - maybe the accusump as noted previously is the optimal price solution.....?