Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Polar Bear Blat

scannon

If they called what you pictured a "cowcatcher" I hate to think how much bigger Tabers "bearcatcher" will need to be...
    Sure hope they make it carbon to keep the weight down!

Terry Guest

Updates will be posted on our website:

http://7cars.ca/polar-bear-blat.htm

Terry Guest

Will there be 91 octane fuel available all along this route? My car has plenty of range for the 100 - 150 mile distance between fuel stations but having to run on lower octane could be a problem.

Skip,

Based on my 2010 experience, 91 (or up to 93) octane is available until north of Ft. Nelson, BC, when the highest octane available is usually 89 octane, until you get into Alaska. (This is the R+M/2 octane of octane calculation, not the European straight-R (?) method, which results in higher numbers for the same grade of gas: 97 Euro is equal to 91 North American, I believe).

I was worried about the lack of 91 octane (with my 250 hp 2.3 Cosworth Duratec), but the engine management computer took care of everything, and I did not notice any difference in the way the car ran. But of course I avoided any full-throttle, high rpm runs.

Perhaps the PBB 2015 support vehicle could carry some higher-octane gas for those who may have problems -- or at least, plenty of octane booster bottles.
    Alaskossie

Quote: "But of course I avoided any full-throttle, high rpm runs" End quote.

We tried telling Skip that on GBB, but he never listened--maybe PBB will be different.....
    2007 Caterham 7 SV

Quote Originally Posted by Taber10 View Post
    Quote: "But of course I avoided any full-throttle, high rpm runs" End quote.

We tried telling Skip that on GBB, but he never listened--maybe PBB will be different.....
    Not bloody likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskossie View Post
    Skip,

Based on my 2010 experience, 91 (or up to 93) octane is available until north of Ft. Nelson, BC, when the highest octane available is usually 89 octane, until you get into Alaska. (This is the R+M/2 octane of octane calculation, not the European straight-R (?) method, which results in higher numbers for the same grade of gas: 97 Euro is equal to 91 North American, I believe).

I was worried about the lack of 91 octane (with my 250 hp 2.3 Cosworth Duratec), but the engine management computer took care of everything, and I did not notice any difference in the way the car ran. But of course I avoided any full-throttle, high rpm runs.

Perhaps the PBB 2015 support vehicle could carry some higher-octane gas for those who may have problems -- or at least, plenty of octane booster bottles.
    About how far is it from Ft. Nelson to the next place I can get 91 octane? I can squeeze out almost 300 miles on a tank.

Terry Guest

The support will carry extra fuel which can be purchased at Chevron 95. We are also talking about fitting a 200 gallon tank in the back of the pick up, that way PBB participants can buy there fuel from us.

Skip,

It is 986 highway miles from Ft. Nelson, BC to Tok Junction, Alaska.

Tom
    Alaskossie