Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2015 Polar Bear Blat

Rahul,

I'll put my best efforts to the re-scheduled Polar Bear Blat 2016. Let's all see if we can recruit some other like-minded Seven owners who are looking for a real road adventure next year.

Take it from me -- I've driven the planned PBB route before (most of it in a Seven, in fact), and it will be the Seven blat of a lifetime!

This will be a trip you can tell your disbelieving grandkids about, while you travel the Interstates in your autonomous, automatically-guided mobility device....

Alaskossie
    Alaskossie

Tom,

What about those of us who made $250 deposits? Will there be refunds?

Skip,

If folks made deposits but will plan to move their schedule for the Blat by one year to 2016, their deposits will be considered as remaining in place and paid-up.

If people made deposits for the 2105 Blat, but they cannot participate (or do not want to participate) if it is moved one year ahead as is now planned, please contact Terry Johns at terryjohns@live.ca

Alaskossie
    Alaskossie

Was just now checking on the Polar Bear Blat status and saw the date changed to 2016. What a surprise! A 2016 date might or might not work for me at this point so I'll wait a bit before deciding on getting my trip deposit back.

Would have been nice to receive an email from the organizers about the postponement! Either mine got lost or I was never sent one.
    2013 Caterham CSR 260
    2012 Porsche Cayman R
    2006 Ford GT "Gulf Heritage" Livery
    1972 MGB GT
    1959 MGA

Terry Johns in CN has all of the info on what individuals signed up and made deposits -- I don't have it.

I posted an announcement on USA7s as soon as the decision to to postpone for one year was reached.

Sorry that you did not get the word at the time.
    Alaskossie

Has this event been officially cancelled? I dont see it on the site anymore and got no response when I emailed Terry for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by rnr View Post
    Has this event been officially cancelled? I dont see it on the site anymore and got no response when I emailed Terry for a refund.
    Bummer. Terry does list further contact information on his site here: http://www.7cars.ca/contact_us.htm, copied 'n' pasted below for your convenience:

Contact us
    Please feel free to contact us during normal working hours, Monday-Friday 9.00 - 6.00pm MT or email us and we will get back to you at our earliest convenience.

Phone number:
    tel: (403) 872-2153
    email: terryjohns *at* live *dot* ca
    Mailing address:
    7CARS
    Box 1213
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Canada. T4N 6S6
    Sean

I have been remiss in not contacting Terry for a formal update and announcement on the proposed 2016 PBB. I'm not sure what his personal situation is at present -- this was one of the factors that caused the one-year postponement.

I drove the Alaska Highway in a Miata last August-September, and the condition of the last 100 miles of the road before the Canadian border is really deplorable -- no pavement at all. My Miata gained at least 35 lb. of mud that had to be power-washed once we crossed the border into Alaska. I'm not sure I could ask Seven drivers to endure that -- after all, at that point there is no turning back.

Further the State of Alaska's budgetary situation is precarious due to the low price of oil, and this directly affects the cost and availability of the Alaska State Ferry System, which we were relying on to make three connections during and after the blat. The fares were increased 9.5 percent this year, and while the 2016 schedules have been announced, they may be subject to change or cancellation by the Legislature cutting ferry system funding during its up-coming session.

So I will be writing Terry today to recommend that the 2016 PBB be cancelled, awaiting more favorable word and local conditions. Anyone who has a deposit with Terry should contact him for a refund

we've got a great trip itinerary worked out, but it will just have to await better times.
    Last edited by Alaskossie; 01-14-2016 at 04:02 PM.
    Alaskossie