Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wanted 6" and 8" 13" Caterham wheel

I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in the Caterham hp estimates. My Crossflow was originally the same spec as yours, and then was upgraded to the 150 hp spec by changing the cam to the Kent 244. I did a dyno day about 5 years ago, and I think I had 109 at the rear wheel.

I missed both a BDA and a BDG that Craig Chima was selling, so opted to go ahead and "refresh" my Crossflow. Curtis Farley, who is a fairly well known Formula Ford engine builder, is doing the work.
    The only major component upgrades are forged pistons and SCCA SCAT crank. The crank should allow me to comfortably move my redline from 6500 to 7000. Already have double valve springs and roller rockers, but the valve springs are being replaced.

Some head work had been done, but Curtis said it was like they got 75% done and then stopped, so he's "cleaning up" the head. Valves are slightly larger and, in Curtis' words "kinda slick" - although he didn't give me any details as to why.

He thinks the compression ratio was below 9.5, but expects it to be slightly over 10 when he's done. No surprise here, but Curtis hasn't/won't make a prediction of hp. I'll be happy with a true 150 at the crank.

175? From what I've read on Blatchat, it's possible. But I think it's also expensive. For starters, a steel crank - which runs around $2-2.5k (the SCAT crank is less than half that).
    Haven't given up on converting to a BDA at some point, but this will tide me over for a bit.

Steve

Thanks guys for putting my HP numbers in perspective. I was always referring to crank HP and now seem to remember the local market might have gotten close to 135hp with higher octane fuel and that the US cars were detuned to close to 125hp. Has anyone heard that tale?

I am really happy with the HP I have now and whatever I do to increase it, even by 20 HP will make me even happier

Thanks for all the advise, would love to hear what other owners have done to bump up engines from stock

Ivey Engines in Portland, OR is an established, reputable X-flow rebuilder/upgrader.
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car

I know this is an old post, I was just revisiting it to see about tires for my 6" X 13" Panasport Comp wheels. Four plus years since the last comment. Does anyone have a suggestion for track day tires for this wheel set that will not be used on the road, I have a set of 6" x14" wheels for street use.

Also, my race engine was completed a year ago, almost and it was more than satisfactory. Here are the specs from an engine dyno

Caterham Race Engine 2016

Block: Ford OHV 2265E Kent AX Block

Bore: 84 mm Stroke: 77.62 mm

Capacity: 1721 cc

Compression
    Ratio: 11.5:1

Maximum
    Power: 160 HP at 7,200 RPMs
    (At flywheel)

Maximum
    Torque: 125 ft/lbs at 5,600 RPM’s

Ignition Timing: 12 degrees B.T.D.C. at 1,200 RPMs

OR 34 degrees B.T.D.C. at 4,000 RPM's

Valve Clearance (Hot): .018” / .018” ( I / E )

Valve Clearance (Cold): .018” / .020” ( I / E )

Spark Plug Type: NGK BKR7E

Spark Plug Gap: .030"

Firing Order: 1-2-4-3

Fuel: 110 Octane (Shell Purple)

Oil Type/Viscosity: Redline 40 wt Racing (10W-40)

Oil Filter: MOBIL 1 (Part No. M1-301)

Cylinder
    Head: Gas Flowed with Enlarged Ports

Valves: Ivey, Oversize (Intake: 41mm, Exhaust: 35mm)

Valve
    Springs: Ferrea (S10115) Heavy Duty, Duplex with
    Burton Hardened Retainers

Camshaft: Kent A6

Rockers: Burton High Lift Roller Rockers (1.69-1)

Pistons: CP Carillo Forged 84mm bore 11.5:1 CR

Flywheel: Stock Lightened to 12lbs. and balanced

Con Rods: Stock Ford lightened and
    Balanced 600 g (with bolt)
    ARP Bolts

Crankshaft: SCAT SCCA Crankshaft

Clutch: Helix Cover
    Helix 3 paddle clutch plate
    Throw Out bearing (Burton)

Ignition: Distributor: Pertronix Flame Thrower
    Coil: Pertronix Flame Thrower II

Valve Cover: Caterham Cast Alloy with
    1700 Supersprint Script

Lubrication: Titan 5 port Dry Sump Pump
    Six Quart Alloy Oil Tank
    Alloy Dry Sump Pan
    Remote Oil Filter Housing
    MOBIL 1 Oil Filter

Intake
    Manifold Caterham Cast Alloy
    Matched to head and carbs

Carburation: Twin Weber 45mm DCOE

Air Filters: Weber three screen filters

Header: Caterham Competition 4-1
    Collector 2” Outlet
    Stainless Steel

Muffler: Magnaflow

To conclude this thread, I did find 4 Panasport Competition 6" x 13" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by O Racer View Post
    To conclude this thread, I did find 4 Panasport Competition 6" x 13" wheels
    Interestingly I find myself in need of a set of 13" wheels. Where did you get your Panasports?
    '87 Caterham Cosworth BDR 1700 "HPC Spec"

inchoate A friend with a Seven knew of 12 slightly used 6" X 13" Lightweight Panasports for sale. He also knew of another Seven owner, so we bought and shared them. When I tried to buy them new 4 years ago they were not aviailable. I believe the distributor in the US is in LA. Check the Panasport site

Quote Originally Posted by O Racer View Post
    inchoate A friend with a Seven knew of 12 slightly used 6" X 13" Lightweight Panasports for sale. He also knew of another Seven owner, so we bought and shared them. When I tried to buy them new 4 years ago they were not aviailable. I believe the distributor in the US is in LA. Check the Panasport site
    interesting. there's no desperate need as these would be track wheels. i'll keep my ear to the ground and something will come along.
    '87 Caterham Cosworth BDR 1700 "HPC Spec"

Inchoate,
    I've got a set of 6" (maybe7"??) x 13" wheels. They've always been track wheels that I got when I bought my car. Have old rains on them now which are beat.
    Just sitting in my garage. If you're close to Philly, may work well as I'm outside of Baltimore and don't really want to ship. Give me your email and I can try to send you some pics if you're interested.

Jim