Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: So, tell us a little about yourselves

I am a Mechanical Engineer by training, and was a business owner and president of a manufacturing company for many years. The company manufactured magnetic particle clutches and brakes, and tension control systems. I have designed and patented powderbrakes and strain gage load cells, hence my "powderbrake" moniker. ( see >www.magpowr.com) I am retired now, and when I decided to build a car, I knew I wanted a Seven, so I checked out the available kits, and decided on an Ultralite for it's roominess and it's Honda engine. It has been very reliable.
    <DIV>I was fortunate to have my car featured on Kit Car Mag's cover last year. See >http://www.kitcarmag.com/featuredvehicles/0509kc_ultralite_s2k_kit_car/</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>I mostly use the car a a semi-daily driver in good weather, and my wife and I take cruises by ourselves and with the local Lotus club. We have a lot of good twisty roads in Missouri, and we recently did 600 miles of twisties over 3 days with three other sevens guys.</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>I have had it on the track at Run &amp; Gun twice, and once at Motorsports Ranch for the 2005 Southwest Sevens Festival. and I am looking forward to Run&amp;Gun 2006 this October.</DIV>
    Jerry

WCM Ultralite S2K (Sold 8/17)

Hi everyone,

This feels a little like a 12-step program, but here goes. My name's Terry, and I too work that pimple here in Seattle. Hey, it pays the bills, sort-of.&nbsp; I first noticed the 7 when watching the Prisoner during the PBS fundraisers 13 years ago. I immediately thought it was a squat, ugly little thing. Funny thing is the longer I looked at the thing, the more it grew on me. I finally test drove one two years ago, and it was all over. I passed on that one (a 99 Birkin with low mileage that I could have had for 16,500! grrrr). And I am now this (picture thumb and forefinger 1/4 inch apart) from getting a 97 Caterham 1600 classic. The check is quite literally in the mail. We'll see. I don't want to jinx it. If I get the car, it will be my daily driver.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, he's probably a backmarker.

Welcome aboard No 6 - are you at Wieden &amp; Kennedy by any chance? I was an Ogilvy man.

Hope the car comes through, you will not regret it.

Steve T

PS: Middlesbrough just beat Chelsea in the EPL - just had to tell SOMEONE!

Happiness is not around the corner, happiness is the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by stevet
    Welcome aboard No 6 - are you at Wieden &amp; Kennedy by any chance? I was an Ogilvy man.

Hope the car comes through, you will not regret it.

Steve T

PS: Middlesbrough just beat Chelsea in the EPL - just had to tell SOMEONE!

A variety of places. Evans Group/Publicis for a very short while. Lately I've been a gun-for-hire and have helped out at Y&amp;R and AvenueA. Being hourly has improved my blood pressure and general outlook on life.
    If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, he's probably a backmarker.

Ok .. that's three of us who discovered the 7 through "The Prisoner" TV show!

Rob Mitchell
    1981 Rotus Seven / Toyota 2TG DOHC with Dual Carbs
    Speed Costs: How fast do you wish to spend?

Make that four!

I was in my early teens when I watched the Prisoner series, and of course fell in love with the car. Through the years I would see the occassional review in one of the car magazines and my interest would be renewed. Finally, a couple years ago, Autoweek Magazine on SpeedVision had a burgundy Caterham SV on the show when it was being introduced in the US. I decided it was now or never on getting a Seven (I was nearing 50 years old!) so I seriously started looking for a car to buy. Strangely, I had never seen a Seven in person up till then! I contacted Magnus Feuer, who runs the California Caterham Club web site here in S. California, and asked for a ride in his new SV. He graciously agreed, and proceeded to scare the crap out of me but of course I enjoyed every second of the drive and soon had my own Seven, a Birkin

Stan

(I'm an optometrist in private practice in S. Calif.)<edited><editID>soareyes</editID><editDate>2006-08-24 14:53:14</editDate></edited>
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by soareyes
    He graciously agreed, and proceeded to scare the crap out of me but of course I enjoyed every second of the drive and soon had my own Seven, a Birkin

Hehe! That's kinda what I am wishing Mazda will do to me if I ever get in his Franken7!

Actually I got a KAR120C tag off eBay/UK last year and mounted it on the front of my Celica!

I also joined "The Prisoner" Fan Club for one year. Their fanzine is well done .. but too much over the top in detailed analysis of the show for me to continue. I really haven't gotten into reading the issues.

Rob Mitchell

<edited><editID>solder_guy</editID><editDate>2006-08-24 15:00:08</editDate></edited>
    1981 Rotus Seven / Toyota 2TG DOHC with Dual Carbs
    Speed Costs: How fast do you wish to spend?

FWIW, I think just about any spirited drive in a Seven as a passenger is terrifying, even if you are in the hands of an expert driver....maybe especially so?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Navarro
    FWIW, I think just about any spirited drive in a Seven as a passenger is terrifying, even if you are in the hands of an expert driver....maybe especially so?
    I think its the fact that the car is so small and low to the ground the sensation of speed is greatly enhanced. Sitting on the rear axle is also an experience 99.9% of the people out there are probably not used to; To be honest, I have not been in a 7 with someone steering with the throttle, but I imagine the experience is a real lower-intestinal track clincher.
    <edited><editID>No_6</editID><editDate>2006-08-25 09:03:01</editDate></edited>

On my test drive (the one time I haven't been at the wheel), I told the guy from Mid-Atlantic that "he didn't have to try and kill me" after the first burst of acceleration into a bend.

I've never driven bonkers with a passenger, btw. I can tell the car balance is different than with just me and don't want to "play" on public roads with that level of uncertainty.