Page 1 of 82 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: So, tell us a little about yourselves

I'll start...

Mechanical Engineer by training, but have spent most of my career in programming and developer management. Most of my experience is SQL and .NET. I've had a couple of small businesses - one of which specialized in conversion of cars to Natural Gas and Propane (did about 1000 cars).

I have two boys (7 and 4), who run me to the ground everyday, and a patient wife .

I live near Washington, DC.

I'll bite.

Trained as an artist, spent 22 years in advertising (a trade once
    famously descibed as 'a pimple on the arsehole of comerce'), gave it
    all up, moved to Virginia and now a working artist. I'm a brit; built
    my first Catreham in 1996 - 1700 Supersprint - my second is the second
    from the right in the photo banner above. Married with one daughter and
    living in Charlottesville, Va.

As I am fond of saying, "happiness is not around the corner, happiness <u>is</u> the corner"

Happiness is not around the corner, happiness is the corner.

<DIV>Sure, why not....</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>In a former life, I was in "professional recreation" in Eugene Oregon, running the bicycle recreation program for City of Eugene.&nbsp; Tough job but somebody had to do it!&nbsp; &nbsp; That introduced me to therapists who introduced me to my current field (for the last 30 years or so).&nbsp; I am a clinical Prosthetist Orthotist (artificial limbs and braces), and still love it every day.&nbsp; I've got people falling all over themselves to see me, even though some of 'em don't have a leg to stand on!</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>I got into the 7 bug while watching every episode of "The Prisoner"..several times.. as a kid.&nbsp; I also had a (missed!) opportunity to buy what I think was a series 2 in pieces for $1500 in 1971, with a Lotus twincam...also in pieces, in my last year of High School near Denver.&nbsp; But that yearning never went away, and I never stopped wanting to build and own one.&nbsp; It became obvious that its better to own one while I still had the relative youth to drive the stink out of it.&nbsp; I now have an '05 SV, working on building up my second engine, have a serious case of 'permagrin', and accept that its one of the single best decisions I've ever made! </DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>Mark</DIV><edited><editID>mr2dux</editID><editDate>2006-08-17 19:18:29</editDate></edited>

I have been an admirer of the Seven since my college days.&nbsp; I saw&nbsp;my first&nbsp;real Seven stuck in traffic in front of the hotel I was staying in Hong Kong.&nbsp; The car was invisible among the double decker buses&nbsp;and the driver was melting in the summer heat.&nbsp; I told myself that this looks like fun and I got to get me one.&nbsp;&nbsp;Fortunately we have a Caterham dealer in Texas, so now I have a Caterham SV to&nbsp;keep&nbsp;my Lotus Esprit V8 company.
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV>I owns a civil engineering/land surveying consulting firm for more than 20 years.&nbsp; My daily driver is a Hummer H2.</DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

Al N. here. I still toil in the "pimple" which Steve T mentions...he and I have laughed in person about it before. After years of working for others, I co-founded a small ad agency in NJ.

I live in Hunterdon County on a very rural property (enough field space to host dozens of Sevens should we ever want to have a Northeast meet!) with my wife and two young daughters (6 and 8), a cat, and a resident herd of deer. My wife is a photographer: www.laurabillingham.com.

My Seven story is recounted on my blog at gardenstatesevens.org.

Quote Originally Posted by pksurveyor
    I saw my first real <strong>Seven stuck in traffic</strong> in front of the hotel I was staying in Hong Kong. The car was <strong>invisible among the double decker buses and the driver was melting in the summer heat. I told myself that this looks like fun</strong> and I got to get me one. Fortunately we have a Caterham dealer in Texas, so now I have a Caterham SV to keep my Lotus Esprit V8 company.

<div> </div>

<div>I owns a civil engineering/land surveying consulting firm for more than 20 years. My daily driver is a Hummer H2.</div>

<div> </div>

How true

Hello,
    My name is Chet Burdette and I am a Prosthetist by trade. (I design and fit artificial limbs)&nbsp; I'm currently building a Lotus 7 replica from scratch (no kit) with a Miata donor.&nbsp; I'm still a long way from finishing but I've spent the past year planning the build. I found this site when Slngsht posted an invite to your get together next summer over on the locostusa.com forums.&nbsp; This place is really nice, whoever put it together did a nice job.[img]http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/images/emoticons/smile5.gif" border="0" align="absmiddle">

Chet, I guess you and Mark (mr2dux) are in the same field...

<P>I am a forty year old slacker.&nbsp; My job is as "the A/V kid" at the corporate office for the BNSF Railway Company.&nbsp; I'm single with no plans of becoming otherwise.&nbsp; A buddy of mine saw a Seven on the road and called to say I really needed one.&nbsp; I has lusted after a Seven for some time and decided to build a Locost.&nbsp; Well, that plan got sidetracked by an assembled Cobra kit that I bought instead.&nbsp; At the 2004 Southwest Sevens Festival, Bernie Long said to me, "When you are ready to go FAST, get rid of that and buy a Seven."&nbsp; I sold the Cobra the next day and a few months later bought a BIY Birkin kit (a frame and some boxes of parts).&nbsp; With Datsuns being my first love, I built my seven around the engine and transmission from a B-210.&nbsp; I "finished" the car eleven and a half months after bringing it to the shop.&nbsp; Dual SU carburetors replaced the single DCOE over the winter and I have now clocked almost 4,000 miles.&nbsp; I'm looking forward to the LOG in October (?) here in the Metroplex as well as the Tail O' The Dragon event next July.&nbsp; See y'all there!</P>
    Do it in a Datsun!

Hi:

I'm an emergency medicine physician.

I had never seen a Lotus 7 until I finally checked out "The Prisoner" TV show in 2004. Google answered my question, "What is that car?" eBay introduced me to the Rotus 7 one of which was auctioned off in Oct'04. I love Toyotas so the Rotus was going to be the car for me.

But I had to do some research and had to convince my wife about this purchase. So I bought a book titled, _Lotus 7 and the Independents_ and photocopied the Rotus 7 section. I left those copied pages on my wife's dresser. Then on the bed and other places where she would see it.

Then the Chris Custer estate offered the two Rotus cars for sale. Well she finally said, "Why don't you go ahead and buy that car." She had no idea that I had already sent a check to the executor, Tim Custer. Now here I wait patiently and hope that the Rotus #14 car will be in my driveway soon.

Rob Mitchell

1981 Rotus Seven / Toyota 2TG DOHC with Dual Carbs
    Speed Costs: How fast do you wish to spend?