Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making the tire carrier removable

2001 Caterham Superlight R

Yes, but with a 4 wheeler your odds are twice that of a two wheeler!
    Henry
    1965 Seven S2
    1969 Elan S4

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post

Yes, similar...but even cuter if possible.
    I will use the remaining tubes on the body to make a license plate mount so it wouldn't just leave them unfinished.

make the insert and attach to car or carrier. Other side maybe slit the tube lengthwise (maybe .5" to .75") and weld/braze two nuts (one with the threads removed) to create a pinch instead of the crossbolt? I would make a step in the insert the same diameter as the tubing and weld around that so it would fit up even tighter when installed since no weld or braze would be in the way

What about the attachment bolt lengthwise inside the carrier tube??!! Like a pocket screw in wood? Use a ball end allen to tighten?

Quick release pins?

Thinking up the cutest way is half the fun!!
    Ryan

1996 Caterham 7 Supersprint

I believe Alaskossie had one made for his Caterham. I haven't seen him on here for quite awhile. I'll shoot him an email and see if I can get him to post.
    Skip
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Caterham SV: http://www.britishv8.org/Other/SkipCannon.htm

Default Detachable spare tire carrier

Sorry I'm late to the party. Scannon let me know that this thread was running. I've been remiss in not following USA7s more closely of late -- too busy at work, I guess.

Yes, i cut my spare tire carrier off about 2 inches from the body. My purpose was not to run without my spare (I like both the balanced look and the rear-impact protection of the spare tire), as well a certain measure of flat-tire insurance (though I run different width tires front and rear).

My reason for cutting the tire bracket off, and then re-installing it, was to use it to support my custom rear luggage rack set-up. The stubs that are attached to the chassis support the self-designed rear luggage rack. I drilled holes in the fixed and separated parts of the spare tire carrier, and put stainless cross-bolts and nylock nuts through both parts. I got aluminum tubes to fit snugly inside both the stubs and the separated tire carrier, and lined up and drilled the holes through the two tubes that act as ferrules inside the stubs and the detached tire carrier.

Seems to be a neat solution for me, and involve no brazing or other fabrication, just cutting and drilling. I cut the tire carrier from the chassis stubs with a pipe-cutter, for a neat cut. One feature I did not preserve is a rear license plate light -- too difficult to tie in with the detachable tire mount. But I could do a work-around if required, using the method in the photos posted earlier in this thread.

I can take photos of my tire carrier, if my written description is hard to visualize. I can also send photos of my luggage-rack setup, which its more extensive and "integrated" than I've seen applied to other Sevens. With it, I was able to take a 6200-mile blat without using the passenger seat as an auxiliary luggage bin..
    Alaskossie

Thanks for the info Alaskossie. I was definitely going to go the route of the pipe cutter... nice and clean. I understand the method of attachment but would still love to see your luggage rack. If the stub shafts are there then they can be used for all sorts of cool stuff. Was even thinking about an extremely light weight trailer hitch since i have an almost finished (homemade aluminum) version of a Unigo single wheel trailer that will attach to my K13.
    Ryan

Agree, would love to see the luggage rack!
    Henry
    1965 Seven S2
    1969 Elan S4

I have a couple of pictures of the loaded luggage rack with spare tire from when he was loading it up to start the trip but none of the custom attachments.

Name:  P1050852.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  P1050859.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  83.5 KB
    Skip
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Caterham SV: http://www.britishv8.org/Other/SkipCannon.htm

I like it already! Aluminum tubing or steel?
    Ryan

Name:  resize_IMG_0050.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  22.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images