Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Newbie here (Upstate SC)

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoram View Post
    Thanks!! Great to encounter Volvo heads even here. So you are essentially creating an R with a bit more ground clearance and a few more N-m?...
    The V70 is our (and our dogs') serene and beloved "roadmaster".
    Unfortunately sounds like you are really really not local, eh?... also prepared to drive to lower MI (have a place to stay) if that helps our cause...?
    It's lowered too, so not much ground clearance winning.

    It's essentially an R without a few downsides like the 4c and the price. As well as stock wide "flares".

    I've had the XC for 9 years. It served me well. Quite over 200k miles. It was time to do some motor work and I had a parts 6spd R sitting around so the swap only made sense. I already swapped most of the interior, sway bars, brakes, wheels, etc. With the motor swap I also swapped the speed sensitive steering but we shall see how it works (by default it should lock into the firmest setting in error mode, which I'm fine with. Stock harness doesn't have a pigtail to it, nor does ECU communicate to it). Otherwise the XC is just a perfect daily/tow vehicle. Planning to tow my Caterham with it without needing a truck.

    As far as Caterham is concerned, I'm a bit too far away to be of use to ya. We can do pretty good estimate asking your body dimensions and preferences. S3 is TIGHT especially with Tillets. . I'm 5 7 and ~150 pounds. I have many friends that physically cannot fit.

    Name:  volvoCapture.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  56.9 KB
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    It's lowered too, so not much ground clearance winning.

    It's essentially an R without a few downsides like the 4c and the price. As well as stock wide "flares".

    I've had the XC for 9 years. It served me well. Quite over 200k miles. It was time to do some motor work and I had a parts 6spd R sitting around so the swap only made sense. I already swapped most of the interior, sway bars, brakes, wheels, etc. With the motor swap I also swapped the speed sensitive steering but we shall see how it works (by default it should lock into the firmest setting in error mode, which I'm fine with. Stock harness doesn't have a pigtail to it, nor does ECU communicate to it). Otherwise the XC is just a perfect daily/tow vehicle. Planning to tow my Caterham with it without needing a truck.

    As far as Caterham is concerned, I'm a bit too far away to be of use to ya. We can do pretty good estimate asking your body dimensions and preferences. S3 is TIGHT especially with Tillets. . I'm 5 7 and ~150 pounds. I have many friends that physically cannot fit.

    Name:  volvoCapture.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  56.9 KB
    Kudos to your project! You're diving quite deep. How difficult is the conversion to manual trans?
    I picked the base V70 (albeit 5spd) to minimize hassles and expenses as it is the "schlepping" car. Approaching 200K mi and the level of refinement and durability is still astonishing. I too am planning to use it to tow the Caterham with a lightweight trailer. But first need to get the car...
    Speaking of, thanks for the offer to help with dimensions. Hoping still to be able to conduct a physical fitting, and from what you say sounds like we may need the large one...
    Cheers.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Name:  in Belding reduced.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  98.2 KB

    sorry for the detour...

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoram View Post
    Name:  in Belding reduced.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  98.2 KB

    sorry for the detour...
    It's your thread, it goes wherever you want!

    It's also only a minor detour as the Volvo/7 discussion is relevant to trailering it seems.

    Manual/R swap is involving but I wouldn't say difficult per say. Hybrid axles due to it being an XC and having different geometry and control arm sizes than the R makes it more difficult. Would have been easier with regular V70.

    Part of the reason for the swap is that I've towed stock upto about 2300 lbs. Enclosed steel 6x10 with 3 bikes and other equipment in it. It did it but I wasn't too confident in brakes and other things.

    6spd will help counter the weak point that is the automatic transmission and R motor with more power never hurts. The Brembo brakes will be sufficient for stopping and I've added weight distribution hitch and 7pin trailer harness with brake control to help more. I'm shooting for comfort towing around 4000lbs which should be my aluminum enclosed with the 7 in it. It WILL NOT be as good as a truck but when I only need to tow a few times a year it shouldsuffice.

    With that said dimensionally you have the right idea of trying to find out to test fit. It's quite necessary. Me and my wife are very small people and it's a tight fit for us. On the web tall and slanky people tend to make it happen (especially if they have somewhat small feet) by doing lowered floors, removable steering wheel, driving shoes etc. But if you're girthy there is little to help that other than different seats for starters. Chassis very narrow.

    Here is my car towing the steel trailer and the trailer I'm planning to tow in future

    Name:  volvCapture.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  59.0 KB

    Name:  trialerCapture.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  51.3 KB
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    It's your thread, it goes wherever you want!

    It's also only a minor detour as the Volvo/7 discussion is relevant to trailering it seems.

    Manual/R swap is involving but I wouldn't say difficult per say. Hybrid axles due to it being an XC and having different geometry and control arm sizes than the R makes it more difficult. Would have been easier with regular V70.

    Part of the reason for the swap is that I've towed stock upto about 2300 lbs. Enclosed steel 6x10 with 3 bikes and other equipment in it. It did it but I wasn't too confident in brakes and other things.

    6spd will help counter the weak point that is the automatic transmission and R motor with more power never hurts. The Brembo brakes will be sufficient for stopping and I've added weight distribution hitch and 7pin trailer harness with brake control to help more. I'm shooting for comfort towing around 4000lbs which should be my aluminum enclosed with the 7 in it. It WILL NOT be as good as a truck but when I only need to tow a few times a year it shouldsuffice.

    With that said dimensionally you have the right idea of trying to find out to test fit. It's quite necessary. Me and my wife are very small people and it's a tight fit for us. On the web tall and slanky people tend to make it happen (especially if they have somewhat small feet) by doing lowered floors, removable steering wheel, driving shoes etc. But if you're girthy there is little to help that other than different seats for starters. Chassis very narrow.

    Here is my car towing the steel trailer and the trailer I'm planning to tow in future

    Name:  volvCapture.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  59.0 KB

    Name:  trialerCapture.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  51.3 KB
    Vovchandr, thanks for the great insights. I'm looking forward to revisiting the towing topic once I have the something to tow. In the meantime will hang tight to see if can do the physical "fitting".

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Hello Yoram, I'm a little late, but want to welcome you to the forum. If you would like some comparison on the fit between the two cars you are more than welcome to come by and compare the fit of my SV? I'm located in Powdersville SC.

    Regards

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Roswell GA
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    There are several 7's in the Atlanta area, now if you could arrange 6-pack abs...
    Life happens while you're making other plans
    1995 Caterham Crossflow RHD
    1990 Miata
    2007 GMC Sierra WT
    2013 Mini (Her's)
    2014 Outback
    JOHN DEERE D130

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax View Post
    Hello Yoram, I'm a little late, but want to welcome you to the forum. If you would like some comparison on the fit between the two cars you are more than welcome to come by and compare the fit of my SV? I'm located in Powdersville SC.

    Regards
    Hi BlueMax, my turn to apologize for the delayed response; we spent all yesterday driving back from Western Michigan and today getting caught up and settled back into daily routine.
    I would love to take you up on your offer. Will send a PM with the hope to set something up soon.
    Thanks again!
    -Yoram

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coffee break View Post
    There are several 7's in the Atlanta area, now if you could arrange 6-pack abs...
    Sure!!

    https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/m...ml?prm=1.3.0.6

    How many and what sizes we need?...

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Warm thanks to BlueMax and coffee break for letting my wife and me try their cars for size.
    Last Sunday we tried BlueMax's SV and determined that we have a bit of room to spare.
    Today we confirmed that we are able to get into, sit in side-by-side without fighting and (not pretty but doable) climb out of coffee break's S3.
    So the two top decisions are done thanks to the excellent help from this forum: It will be a 310S S3.
    I intend to place an order this week. Will post the specs.
    Cheers!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •