Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning webers on a 1700 supersprint

Hmm, interesting. I had just adjusted the valves before I noticed the hiccup but very confident they are set to perfect .022" and .024". Granted, they were set cold. Weak springs is a new one to me (hell, most of my toys don't even have cams and valves!!) but logical enough. I have seen a torque wrench type tool that can check spring pressure while the spring is still installed. I'll see if anybody I know has one. Otherwise... leak down wouldn't hurt. I am actually resisting the temptation to pull the head, just for a look see. I don't know if it is the totally flat head or the one with a little bit of bowl to it. Likely stock. (whichever was stock on a 1996 supersprint)

Having just had the carbs off for a through once over it is plausible a chuck of crap got in the idle circuit. Usually quite scrupulous but those are some tiny little passages.

Valve spring pressure can be SWAG checked by using the heel of your hand to open valves.

Anker - sorry, I misread the thread. This is all very helpful for me. My BDA hesitates around 3500 RPM. Didn't know about buying several size jets from Pegasus. Hope I can tune that out in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Anker View Post
    I did, just giving some advice!
    1997 Caterham, BDA
    1991 Miata, supercharged
    2017 VW GTI
    1977 13' Boston Whaler

Mine hesitated between 2K and 3K RPM, and then picked up from 3K and up. Best of luck getting it fixed. It made a huge difference to me to finally get it right!
    1987 Caterham 1700 Supersprint
    2002 Porsche Boxster
    2004 Porsche Boxster S
    1941 Dodge Luxury Liner
    2009 Mercedes CLK 350 Cabriolet
    2017 Chevrolet Volt

There is a yahoo group called sidedraft central. The gentleman that runs it (Keith Franck) sells his own weber parts which myself and others have had great luck with. He has a lot of great tutorials and troubleshooting resources up on the group page.

Glad going to 50's worked. Tip-in seems to be the most common challenge most face with webers. Generally it is a combination of idle jets and progression holes. You may have luck getting closer to perfect with Keith's tubes.

Name:  AF Meter.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  21.5 KB Get yourself one of these if you are running side-draft carbs. Really good for syncing them.
    Graham.

first drive with the 65 pilots changed out for the 50f8. Idle and run quality is drastically improved! Off idle throttle response is significantly better than with the 65's. Did get increased popping on decel. Small hesitation around 3k. Switched to 50f9 but ran out of time for further testing.
    Ryan

1996 Caterham 7 Supersprint