Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield replacement

Default Windshield replacement

After witnessing the laws of entropy in practice by ordering one piece of glass and receiving multiples from England it seems that my options are limited to finding something local or sate side at least.

Anybody have experience with replacing the windshield glass? Just the glass without assembly or heater elements. I checked beachmanracing website and they only list the entire windshield assembly.

Is this something a local glass place can cut with relative ease, since it's a flat piece and and I have a mockup? Anybody ever go through insurance for this? How do glass places treat vehicles that they don't stock or can really order for?
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

Oh no! Gory post Morten photo?
    After a stone incident at our annual track day TBox had his replaced with a sheet of laminated glass. He brought the windscreen frame as a template and to reassemble. I think it worked great, you just loose the embedded defroster.

Quote Originally Posted by wemtd View Post
    Oh no! Gory post Morten photo?
    After a stone incident at our annual track day TBox had his replaced with a sheet of laminated glass. He brought the windscreen frame as a template and to reassemble. I think it worked great, you just loose the embedded defroster.
    Yeah I'm not worried about the defroster. The replacement piece of glass CC sells is just plain glass. Only way to get defrost replacement is in the whole assembly (from what I can tell). My defroster has never been connected.

Where did Tbox go? Just a local glass place? They would sell laminated glass? Any idea what the costs were?

I think it sounds simpler than it is. The replacement glass must be laminated to be safe. That is different than tempered glass, which can shatter into a million shards (pointed at your face, even tho it's not supposed to). Our tempered shower door glass shattered and it was painful and ugly. And typical laminated glass for sale here in the states is too thick to fit in the Caterham windshield frame, as I recall from the last time this issue came up here.
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

Quote Originally Posted by Kitcat View Post
    I think it sounds simpler than it is. The replacement glass must be laminated to be safe. That is different than tempered glass, which can shatter into a million shards (pointed at your face, even tho it's not supposed to). Our tempered shower door glass shattered and it was painful and ugly. And typical laminated glass for sale here in the states is too thick to fit in the Caterham windshield frame, as I recall from the last time this issue came up here.
    After receiving two broken OEM Caterham windshields I can stand witness they aren't laminated. They seem to crack and break like regular glass. For what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    After receiving two broken OEM Caterham windshields I can stand witness they aren't laminated. They seem to crack and break like regular glass. For what that's worth.
    Good to know if not a little disturbing...
    Greg

Find a glass place that caters to Semi trucks. They will be accustomed to working with flat glass, and will have the right laminated material available.

Randall

I took my cracked windshield to an auto glass place and got a new non tinted
    one for $100 in a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any thought of using UVEX or some other plastic. Way back in the 70's a college class mate had a Healy 100/6 and he used some plexiglass to replace the windscreen because glass kept breaking. Either the frame was bent or it was chassis flex that was doing it.
    Life happens while you're making other plans
    1995 Caterham Crossflow RHD
    1990 Miata
    2007 GMC Sierra WT
    2013 Mini (Her's)
    2014 Outback
    JOHN DEERE D130

First anything but laminated safety glass is not legal. There are safety regulations. Lexan would be a great material from a safety standpoint, but the problem is all the plastics scratch to easily.