Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil cooler

In the Duratec, the crank sits entirely above the full static oil level with a wet sump. Windage is not an issue with these engines I am told. I have wondered, however, if applying a low surface tension coating to the non-pressurized walls might help a bit for track use.

I would not run on track without an oil cooler. I have fitted a Mocal water oil cooler, picture attached, not the most professional installation as I never went back and made a bracket, but hey its kept the car cool for 5 years of regular track use. The fittings are AN12.
    Most people run a standard air oil cooler, which works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cat has a small oil cooler behind the radiator, like yours. A more ideal placement for mine, since it is air cooled, not water cooled, would be in front of the radiator where it gets a steady stream of fresh air. I like your set-up.
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

Many thanks to everyone who helped with advice.
    Croc's MOCAL recommendation was spot on. Their UK catalog must be at least 50% educational and very informative. After many delays I finally got it installed today!

I choose a Setrab 13row cooler with -08AN fittings & their thermostatic sandwich plate. My searches found this and the mishimoto are the thinnest available. The oil ports from the duratec block into the filter adapter measure ~15mm ID. Which should mate adequately with -08 (~12.7mm ID). It came together nicely with 45 M22 to -08 gasketed swivel hose ends into the sandwich plate and corresponding 90 M22 to -08 AN swivel hose ends. This eliminated the need for an M22 to AN fitting before the AN hose end. My main delay was the mount position. The radiator mounting tabs did not allow space for the 90 hose ends to pass beneath the radiator, and they were not perpendicular to the radiator. A little repositioning of these tabs (lower and perpendicular to the radiator): I'm now in business.

This afternoon the engine oil warmed up to 180 and held there. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to refilled and bled the coolant and get out on the highway for a proper test.
    oh.. and if everything is copacetic I'm already thinking of adding a top attachment for the cooler.

p.

Name:  DSC_44877 (2).jpg
Views: 39
Size:  78.0 KB
    Last edited by wemtd; 11-20-2020 at 09:42 PM.

I think with the colder weather, you will find that it takes FOREVER to get every thing up to temp with the oil cooler. If you drive much in the colder weather, consider the Mocal temperature by-pass. Before I install the by pass, I made a block off plate, with a hinged section. It allowed me to open a 1/3 of the cooler area, by flipping up the section with a long screw driver thru the front of the grill. Dave W