Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going coast to coast without a clue

Cycle the hazard switch a few times. The turn signal wiring goes through the hazard switch and sometimes that can contribute to the problem.

Congrats on the car! I remember the auction on BAT.
    Last edited by 11Budlite; 10-16-2020 at 09:23 AM.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by pksurveyor View Post
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...MobileSwitchNo

The brake switch is available at Advance Auto.
    Thanks for giving me a lead on a brake light switch. That looks perfect and I'll definitely be getting one.

So here's an update. I've traveled from Utah Motorsports Campus to SLC to Moab to Bryce Canyon to the Grand Canyon which is 909 miles. Apart from the electrical issues noted previously the car has run flawlessly. Surprising because I had to use 85 octane for one tank due to the scarcity of gas stations in Southern Utah. Maybe not that surprising because while the engine was uprated to 218 hp with porting and hotter cams, it doesn't have a higher than stock compression ratio.

Most of the challenges have involved getting it set up livably. I've taken a couple of steps in that regard. After sleeping on the ground four nights at near freezing temps I've even up on camping and mailed all my camping gear home. My vision Rx is around -8 with a lot of astigmatism and my efforts to get sunglasses was a failure. Driving across the desert without sunglasses is a very bad idea. I got some sunglasses that fit over my eyeglasses so I've addressed that. I went without earplugs for a couple of days which was a huge mistake that I've resolved. I didn't think I had the hardware for the doors so I went without. I then realized that the hardware for my new wind deflectors will hold the doors. The doors arrived today and I'll be enjoying them for the first time tomorrow.

I think I finally have it about set up to start doing some 400-500 mile days. The plan tomorrow is to leave the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and make it to Palm Springs in no more than two days. I'm planning on two nights in Palm Springs and then doing a run up the PCH this weekend.

One question I have is fuel capacity and range. I've been getting 20-25 miles per gallon. Riding a motorcycle taught me to always reset the trip odometer at every fill-up. I don't let the tank go below 1/4 on the gauge and generally fill up before 150 miles. I'm generally putting in 6.5 gallons. If I new I could trust there were 8 usable gallons in the tank I could extend my range 30 to 40 miles which would be great. What sort of range does everyone get?

just a few thoughts about the tail lights. I recently had one tail light stop working. The fuse kept blowing. I eventually learned that the dash lights which illuminate the dash switches was on the same fuse and that many of these old switches ('99 DeDion) had degraded and begun to pull more current than normal which all added up to more than the fuse could handle. I could have replaced all the switches but instead pulled the ground wires to many of those switches.

When you check “avoid highways” on Google maps unmaintained gravel roads might be included in the itinerary. I headed back rather that venture down that path.

Regardless, I’ve made it to Palm Springs and now have a clunk in my trunk when I come off the power. I think something in the rear suspension has come loose or is broken. Any recommendations for a mechanic in the area that will put it on a lift? Never mind. Took it for a spin this morning and all seems good.

So 500 miles yesterday. With the doors on covering that sort of mileage is a real pleasure.
    Last edited by SanderGA; Yesterday at 10:34 AM.

I’m trying to plot a route from Palm Springs to Santa Barbara that includes some roads through the mountains east of LA. Google doesn’t want to participate. Are fires in them there hills the problem?

How far up the coast do you plan to go?

Quote Originally Posted by ashyers View Post
    How far up the coast do you plan to go?
    I want to make it to Kampena Saturday at 3:00 pm so Richard can put the car on the lift and tell me anything is broken. Assuming that yields good news, I’ll head East from there.

SanderGA,
    I'm in Oakland, if you want to drop by on the way up to Sears Point for a bit of socially distanced grilling and a rest you're more than welcome.

Andy

Thanks for the invitation Andy. I have a couple of balls in the air. Let me see how they shake out and I’ll let you know later today if I can make it.

Made it to Santa Barbara. Car keeps running better. Tomorrow I’ll do the PCH. If the invitation is still open Andy, I’d love to swing by tomorrow evening. My email is sander@sanderabernathy.com. I’ll also send that in a direct message. If you don’t get it either way, you can easily find me with google. My name is Sander Abernathy and that’s also my domain name. If you google it you’ll easily find me. Just let me know time and place and I’ll be there.

if anyone has an interest in following my journey I’m using the handle @caterhamchronicles on the ‘gram.