Thread: DIY Carbon Dash

Default DIY Carbon Dash

As I have sprung for the NRG wheel buttons all the switches on my dash are not needed (5 were never connected anyway as I have a Superlight)

I would love to be able to afforded a new Carbon dash and reconfigure it without the switches but as I am now on a strict budget I was wondering how difficult it would be to make one out of CF using the original as a template
    Anyone attempted this?

And if it is an option how the hell do you get the original one off in one piece.
    Life Can Be Cruel

Besides a serious Lotus addiction issue it turns out that it's really more serious as the diagnosis of my condition has been confirmed that I actually suffer from a severe case of Geelyitis; I own 4 Lotus and 2 Volvos. That said, while working on my one-owner '73 145 I have found a wealth of helpful information on the TurboBricks.com Volvo forum. One of the long term posters over there is going through a Volvo Amazon and has a very serious case of scope creep in his maintenance and restoration blog documentation. He has posted extensively WRT his home fabrication of CF parts for the car. He's just doing minor stuff like pretty much all of the bolt on panels like the hood and trunk lid as well as parts like door skins and parts like the intake manifold and air cleaner. Here is a link to the forum that documents the build, Volvo 122S Build Thread: Scope-creep the Sequel

If you don't care to follow his progress or peer that deeply into his obsessive compulsive activities you can go direct to the builder's youtube channel, Throttle Stop Garage

With something like 73 videos there is lots of good information on mold and pattern making as well as tips and tricks regarding general composite fabrication technique.

I hope that this helps.
    Ron

'14 Evora IPS
    '84 Turbo Esprit
    '77 S1 (deceased)
    '62 Lotus Seven S2 109E Cosworth

Thanks gonna check it out
    Life Can Be Cruel

I think in a Seven you could get away with just cutting a completely flat piece of carbon. My carbon dash is totally flat except for the lower edge where it bends around the metal frame tubing.

Yes that's my thinking it is the under dash bend that is the only real concern
    Life Can Be Cruel