Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Brunton Super Stalker Track Day Alignment Settings

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9

    Default Brunton Super Stalker Track Day Alignment Settings

    Was wondering if anyone knows what alignment settings are good for a Bruntion SuperStalker on the track? This is the classic superstalker with the 3800 supercharged engine.

    Although come winter I am going to be asking lots of questions as I convert over to the LS1 engine sitting in my garage

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    43

    Default

    I wouldn't go over 1/16" toe out unless you like replacing tires regularly. I found that out the hard way

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arkansas and . . .
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Iím currently running zero toe and not quite 1 degree of negative camber.

    Also, Iíd highly recommend this mod for the LS1, especially if you plan on tracking the car:

    http://www.improvedracing.com/engine...kit-p-633.html
    Last edited by xcarguy; 09-09-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    Stalker V8, chassis #85

    Stalker Chassis #85 Build Gallery
    Stalker Chassis #85 Owner Thread

    Get up in the morning and give the day your very best. You donít get it back.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    3,764

    Default

    A bit of toe out makes the turn-in happen faster. But it also makes the car twitchy to drive (less inclined to go straight), especially as the front tires get wider and stickier.

    Is rear toe adjustable on Stalkers? If so, what are folks running? I would assume that V8 power could influence that setting?

    While we are at it, what about rake front to back, and caster?

    I recently had my Miata aligned. Without me the front toe was -2.7 left, and -2.4 right. With me in the car it was -2.5 both sides. Just pointing out that having you, or your equivalent weight, in the car can influence the settings.
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Thanks for the info. Going to shoot for zero toe and -1 camber for this run.

    Have any other stalker owners had trouble getting to zero toe? I ask as my tie rod ends are threaded all the way in and still seems like I have some toe out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arkansas and . . .
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by searya View Post
    Thanks for the info. Going to shoot for zero toe and -1 camber for this run.

    Have any other stalker owners had trouble getting to zero toe? I ask as my tie rod ends are threaded all the way in and still seems like I have some toe out.
    Been a while, and no longer using the Chevette steering rack, but if memory serves me correctly, you’ll have to shorten the steering rack tie rod ends a bit to allow toe adjustment.
    Stalker V8, chassis #85

    Stalker Chassis #85 Build Gallery
    Stalker Chassis #85 Owner Thread

    Get up in the morning and give the day your very best. You donít get it back.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arkansas and . . .
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitcat View Post
    . . . Is rear toe adjustable on Stalkers? If so, what are folks running? I would assume that V8 power could influence that setting?

    While we are at it, what about rake front to back, and caster? . . .
    Mike, the classic chassis Stalker uses a straight axle in the rear. When Dennis designed the classic, he did so with a pre set amount of caster. As for rake, there are guidelines. I’ll dig through my old files, find and post here.
    Stalker V8, chassis #85

    Stalker Chassis #85 Build Gallery
    Stalker Chassis #85 Owner Thread

    Get up in the morning and give the day your very best. You donít get it back.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcarguy View Post
    Mike, the classic chassis Stalker uses a straight axle in the rear. When Dennis designed the classic, he did so with a pre set amount of caster. As for rake, there are guidelines. Iíll dig through my old files, find and post here.

    Thanks for the tip on the tie rod ends. I will grind those down!

    If you do have any guidelines for the old stalkers would love to have them. I bought my car already put together so am just kind of winging it (which likely isn't a good idea for an IT/computer guy).

    BTW just finished reading all 37 pages of your owners gallery great stuff!

    Anyone going to Putnam with 10/10ths racing next weekend (9/19 and 9/20) would be great to see other 7's on the track!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arkansas and . . .
    Posts
    3,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by searya View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the tie rod ends. I will grind those down!

    If you do have any guidelines for the old stalkers would love to have them. I bought my car already put together so am just kind of winging it (which likely isn't a good idea for an IT/computer guy).

    BTW just finished reading all 37 pages of your owners gallery great stuff!

    Anyone going to Putnam with 10/10ths racing next weekend (9/19 and 9/20) would be great to see other 7's on the track!
    Traveling for a few days. When I get a break, I’ll find to rake file and post setup here.

    Also, looked back through my build file (link in my signature). I did remove .25” from each steering rack tie rod end.
    Last edited by xcarguy; 09-11-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    Stalker V8, chassis #85

    Stalker Chassis #85 Build Gallery
    Stalker Chassis #85 Owner Thread

    Get up in the morning and give the day your very best. You donít get it back.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcarguy View Post
    Traveling for a few days. When I get a break, I’ll find to rake file and post setup here.

    Also, looked back through my build file (link in my signature). I did remove .25” from each steering rack tie rod end.

    Thanks it is going to be a fun weekend getting the car all setup for a change. Had it for years but went with the 'if it aint broke don't fix it approach'. Now looking to see what I can tweak to get more out of it.

    Another question that may be answered in the rake doc when you find it but not sure...

    My rear axle on the drivers side sits .25 inches off the frame. The passenger side sits about 1 inch. I hear I am supposed to have 1.13125 inches of clearance and to adjust it via the spring perches. Well I tried to add more preload (originally had 1 inch) to make the gap bigger to no avail. I have GAZ coilovers that I got from Dennis when he started repping them a while back. Any ideas to increase the gap?

    thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •