Thread: No Front Plate

Default No Front Plate

Hi, I searched, but didnít see anything on this. Iím wondering if anyone has had issues with not having a front license plate (obviously in states that require them.) Iíve had no problems in San Diego, but have had problems on a different car in West Hollywood, where I swear they ticketed me because the car wasnít nice enough for the neighborhood. This results in a fix-it ticket, and I have no clue how you would mount a plate on the 7 without blocking the radiator.

I wonít be putting one on until it I get a ticket for it, but wondering if anyone has had to deal with this? What solution did you come up with?

Thanks in advance.

Texas requires front plate. No issues without it for 7 years. Never stopped for anything, acceleration, LOUD exhaust...so my experience may not be typical.

Thanks. Yeah, I have the same experience of no issues here, but have more friends in LA now, and will be up there more. The cops can be real jerks there.

In Texas the you can get a custom car registration that requires no front plate or annual inspection.

I haven’t had a single problem here in LA. I’ve stopped and chatted with cops and been at C&Cs with them in attendance with no problems at all.

These cars happen to enjoy the same benefit as a muscle car with a loud exhaust.

Cops tend to look the other way.

NY is notoriously bad for fining people for no front plate and even after being pulled over twice they havent even mentioned it.
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

Until this year, Ohio required a front plate. I never had one on any of my cars, se7ens and otherwise, and never got a ticket. Maybe just lucky? If I had on-street parking only (rather than my garage) maybe things would have been different?

There have been various posts on this issue over the years so maybe do a search here? As I recall, someone had a swivel mount so the plate swung under the car at speed and dropped down when parked.
    Last edited by Kitcat; 09-09-2020 at 08:15 AM.
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

I keep mine in the boot with some zip ties. If I get stopped and they point out that the plate is missing I can claim that it fell off and then zip tie it on until I am clear, and then remove it again.
    1987 Caterham 1700 Supersprint
    2002 Porsche Boxster
    2004 Porsche Boxster S
    1941 Dodge Luxury Liner
    2009 Mercedes CLK 350 Cabriolet
    2017 Chevrolet Volt

I purchased one of these a few years back but never used it if you want it cover the 10 bucks shipping and its yours

https://skenebrackets.com/
    Life Can Be Cruel

I trimmed and formed my front plate and mounted it on the chin spoiler. The mountains on the top were bent forward and formed to fit the nose cone and the COLORADO was bent and formed around the spoiler. The edges were trimmed back. The plate was pop riveted to the spoiler. 11 years and 28k miles and never busted for it which is a good thing because altering a license plate in Colorado is a felony. Almost all my other cars since I did this have had a similar treatment.

Over the years I asked a number of cops, deputies, highway patrol officers and other keepers of the peace if they had a problem with the plate and the reply was always to the effect that if I can see the numbers I don't care about the rest.

Name:  Whiskers and chin002.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  66.0 KB
    Last edited by scannon; 09-09-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    Skip
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Caterham SV: http://www.britishv8.org/Other/SkipCannon.htm