Thread: Home made shift lights for Xflow

Default Home made shift lights for Xflow

I am almost finished installing a set of shift lights on my '87 1700 Supersprint. The materials cost me less than $50. A basic Arduino, some LEDs, plastic to 3D print the cases, and lots of my time, which is free.

I autocross the car and I don't have time to look at the tach, and the shift lights are right in my field of vision. On a fast course I exceed 60 mph and I am concerned about over revving my baby.

The issues I ran into is that the software I found on GitHub didn't work, and the other is a really interesting one. Electrical power for the car comes out of the alternator, and not the battery. It is way too noisy for me to be able to pick up the pulses from the alternator at the coil. In order to make it work, I have to take power from the battery and not use switched power from the fuse panel. To prevent the Arduino from draining the battery I have a switch for the power and when the RPMs are zero, I turn on the last red LED on the switch lights to remind the driver to turn it off. A bit of a kluge, and I may use a relay instead if this doesn't feel convenient.
    1987 Caterham 1700 Supersprint
    2002 Porsche Boxster
    2004 Porsche Boxster S
    1941 Dodge Luxury Liner
    2009 Mercedes CLK 350 Cabriolet
    2017 Chevrolet Volt

Could maybe try a tach noise filter?
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vdo-291000021730

Thanks. Don't need one now, but good to know. The battery to alternator setup on the Supersprint is really strange. The only thing driven directly from the battery is the starter motor. Everything else is powered from the alternator.
    1987 Caterham 1700 Supersprint
    2002 Porsche Boxster
    2004 Porsche Boxster S
    1941 Dodge Luxury Liner
    2009 Mercedes CLK 350 Cabriolet
    2017 Chevrolet Volt