Thread: Caterham Battery Cutoff Switch Location

Default Caterham Battery Cutoff Switch Location

I've started work on my '19 310S build and was considering using a battery cutoff switch because I'm planning on using a Lithium Ion battery. I have a leftover battery cutoff switch (with alt protection) that I didn't use on my Birkin that I hoped to use. I had seen that most people that have them in Caterhams install them in the triangular cutout on the RH windshield post. When I look in that area on my car it doesn't look like there's a lot of room there with the windshield wiper motor. Can they still fit in that location or are they typically installed on the LH side windshield post on a LHD car?
    Bruce

The factory installed one I got is on the LHS....
    Name:  IMG_1116.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  60.7 KB

Someone before me installed a cut-off switch like the one in the picture in the previous post on the firewall in the passenger side footwell. I'll get a photo of it and post.
    Life happens while you're making other plans
    1995 Caterham Crossflow RHD
    1990 Miata
    2007 GMC Sierra WT
    2013 Mini (Her's)
    2014 Outback
    JOHN DEERE D130

Quote Originally Posted by 11Budlite View Post
    I had seen that most people that have them in Caterhams install them in the triangular cutout on the RH windshield post.
    Mounting an exterior electrical cutoff switch is typically a requirement for racing applications. If you are more interested in just being able to isolate your battery (and perhaps for security concerns) then mounting it under the dash on the firewall as coffee break mentioned above is a great way to go.

Besides, if you mount it on the outside of the car there's the chance some light-fingered ne'er do well (see photo) will come along and take it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Nick O'Teen; 09-03-2020 at 07:54 PM.

I appreciate the photo and ideas guys. I think mounting it on the firewall on the passenger side is the best setup for my intended use.

Thanks!
    Bruce

Passenger sideName:  879AA6DE-CE6A-47ED-BC18-4AC42DE3CA1C_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  25.9 KB