Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Choices

Default Battery Choices

What batteries are popular for road-based 7s, these days? I see the Odyssey PC680 is still available - still a good, reliable choice? Thanks.

I've had a PC680 in my Caterham for eight years and it's still going strong.

Walmart Jetski battery.

I have always joked that my Odyssey PC 680 was the only part of my Caterham that I hadn't replaced. But it finally died (to be replaced by another one). So now it's the frame basically.
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

You can save about 10 lbs by running a lithium battery. I'm running one in the Birkin and also in the Van's RV-4. The PC680 weighs around 14 lbs and the lithium around 4.

Quote Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
    You can save about 10 lbs by running a lithium battery. I'm running one in the Birkin and also in the Van's RV-4. The PC680 weighs around 14 lbs and the lithium around 4.
    Which model lithium battery are you running and what is the compromise?

I am running a Ballistics in the Birkin. The company went tits up so I went to a Deltran with similar capacity and size in the airplane, https://www.amazon.com/Supersmart-Li...-1&tag=mh0b-20. I found that battery cheaper on ebay. The upside of lithium is they hold a charge for a very long time, they are much lighter and have slightly higher voltage. The downside is that they are more expensive. The Birkin is has been on the road for a year and about 3,000 miles with no problems. The one in the RV-4 cranks a high compression Lycoming IO-360 (360 ci). I actually replaced a PC680 in with the Deltran in the airplane.

I also have a Ballistic that replaced a PC680. After about 3 years of use, the battery started to have an occasional issue holding a charge for more than 2-3 weeks and was proactively replaced given Ballistic was having a sale at the time. That second Ballistic is still going strong more than 5 years later, but it is kept on a conditioner in the winter when the car sees intermittent use.

It's interesting to have a battery that is easily picked up with just two fingers, yet is capable of starting the car after it's sat outside overnight in mid 30F weather. When this battery eventually dies, another Lithium unit will replace it. I'm a convert.

-John
    '95 Westfield SEiW w/2.0L Duratec
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '91 Miata w/Flyin Miata suspension & brakes
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    '86 Porsche 944 turbo (neglected project car)
    Throttle Steer

EarthX ETX680. Roughly the same dimension of a PC680 so you can use in the same case, but is much lighter and has all of those great characteristics of a lithium battery like holding a charge for a long time.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    EarthX ETX680. Roughly the same dimension of a PC680 so you can use in the same case, but is much lighter and has all of those great characteristics of a lithium battery like holding a charge for a long time.
    What case do you use for the 680? Is there an aftermarket solution, or do you have to fab it up? I'd like to go with a light battery on my upcoming build but not sure what the best/easiest solution is.