Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caterham's first autoX tomorrow :)

Quote Originally Posted by Anker View Post
    What's the issue with your rear suspension? If you have a rear roll bar and it is lifting a wheel on turns disconnect the roll bar or move the connection further out to make it weaker!
    Rear is just too stiff and bounces around. Need to play with spring rates and shocks.
    06 Lotus Elise
    V8 Stalker #159
    02 Dodge Viper GTS
    16 Dodge Charger Hellcat

How does your nerf bar arrangement work? Did you fabricate from scratch or modify something? Iím trying to figure out how to make it work so I donít destroy the rear fenders. Iíve figured out how to get the car legal for SCCA Heritage Classic Street class but I wonít run it without figuring out how to protect the fenders and nose cone.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    How does your nerf bar arrangement work? Did you fabricate from scratch or modify something? I’m trying to figure out how to make it work so I don’t destroy the rear fenders. I’ve figured out how to get the car legal for SCCA Heritage Classic Street class but I won’t run it without figuring out how to protect the fenders and nose cone.
    Attached are photos of my cone catcher. Without it, the fender flexes and cracks at the top. After the second $225 repair and paint, I had this made.Name:  cone catcher.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  cone catcher 2.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  95.1 KBName:  cone catcher 1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  57.7 KBTwo bolts on bottom.

Nicely made! So I take it they work ok just on the bottom like that? The reason I ask is I cracked my left side one, which surprised me since thatís the side the exhaust is on. I was thinking I needed something that went a little higher. I can fabricate something like yours but making one out of tube would have to be farmed out since I donít have the right equipment for DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is made out of flatiron bar, bolted into the tube frame.
    1987 Caterham 1700 Supersprint
    2002 Porsche Boxster
    2004 Porsche Boxster S
    1941 Dodge Luxury Liner
    2009 Mercedes CLK 350 Cabriolet
    2017 Chevrolet Volt

Mine's bolted to the front most outer seat bolt and to the threaded boss for the exhaust (unused on the driver's side). I made it with some round stock from a discarded lawn chair and some scrap I had lying around . It bolts on in under 5 minutes with not modifications to the car other than a longer seat bolt, but I haven't "tested" it yet ! I picked up a bag nylon 6/6 bolts for the fenders from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Nicely made! So I take it they work ok just on the bottom like that? The reason I ask is I cracked my left side one, which surprised me since that’s the side the exhaust is on. I was thinking I needed something that went a little higher. I can fabricate something like yours but making one out of tube would have to be farmed out since I don’t have the right equipment for DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do not think higher is necessary. The cone is bigger and heavier at the bottom, so that's where you want to catch it. Mine is tilted up a bit, only because my mechanic wanted to give it a little style. I have not ever hit a cone on my side and hope that the exhaust there would be enough protection.

I have a tube bar almost identical in shape to panamericano's. Fiberglass is one part of these cars I'm good at, and I can tell you that these Caterham's glass parts are not very strong and will crack from flex at very little provocation- I took a tiny chip out of the top of my passenger fender from a cone, probably because I was going very fast when I hit it and I had strengthened the lower parts of the fender with carbon and so the energy just went to the top curve. The fenders are made using chopped mat- I didn't see any evidence of cloth when I repaired both fenders. Next winter I'll strengthen the entire lip.

The good news is that the gel coat finish makes for easy spot repairs that are invisible if your color match is good- that is a big advantage over paint.