Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 310 Build Log - "I Don't Do This Because I'm Good At It. I Do It Because I Enjoy It."

Default 310 Build Log - "I Don't Do This Because I'm Good At It. I Do It Because I Enjoy It."

Name:  Before.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  87.5 KBName:  After One Week.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  99.3 KB

First week of a few hours per day in the books. Wishbones, steering rack, dampers and uprights installed on the front end. The first step was the toughest, getting those four washers in the lower wishbone where there is really only room for three. I ended up inserting the three and holding them in place with a screwdriver while I pounded in, I mean "gently inserted" the fourth. To get the holes to line up I should have used a tapered punch, but I didn't have one. Instead I used the leading edge of drill bits for their taper. I tapped one in, and then moved on to the next larger to get the washers all lined up for the bolt. Not what the folks who made the drill bits had in mind when they made them, but it got the job done.

BTW, there are some pretty tight quarters in there. Any suggestions for a small, swivel head torque wrench? The torque wrench I have now is of a size and an age that I think it might have been used to bolt together the Titanic.

Can't suggest a flex head as I don't have one, but if you are struggling with space you could get a set of torque adapters or use your wrenches with: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...wrench-adapter.
    Greg

This might be too big at a touch under 18" long but I love mine. They also do a 10-50 ft lb version, but I believe it's the same length.

Precision Instruments Split Beam

-John
    '95 Westfield SEiW w/2.0L Duratec
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '91 Miata w/Flyin Miata suspension & brakes
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    '86 Porsche 944 turbo (neglected project car)
    Throttle Steer

Gonna enjoy watching this build
    Life Can Be Cruel

Is the heat insulation on the footwells and tunnel an option or a factory standard item. Good idea either way.
    Life happens while you're making other plans
    1995 Caterham Crossflow RHD
    1990 Miata
    2007 GMC Sierra WT
    2013 Mini (Her's)
    2014 Outback
    JOHN DEERE D130

Congratulations and best of luck squeegee!

Quote Originally Posted by coffee break View Post
    Is the heat insulation on the footwells and tunnel an option or a factory standard item. Good idea either way.
    I believe it comes standard now. It's installed on mine too.
    Bruce

Thanks for the torque wrench advice. Another update next week.

Update:

I have the headlights, front brake lines, horn, air box and heater installed. I had some trouble with the front anti-roll bar. Josh from Rocky Mountain Caterham is sending me a replacement for the end ball I trashed. Totally my fault. I didn't clean out the excess powder coat from the sockets. I have plenty of time for for Dremeling while await the replacement. I guess I could install the radiator, but I don't want anything fragile nearby while I'm trying to hoss the ARB into position. This the part of the process that my wife refers to as "Crammin', Jammin', and Damnin'."

Name:  Headlights.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  80.5 KBName:  Airbox.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  76.4 KB

"Crammin', Jammin', and Damnin'." - Love that. Tell your sainted wife she is good.

"heater" ? My you Caterham lot are softies.