Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clean up prior to sale?

Default Clean up prior to sale?

I have a 2013 Caterham SE that Iím thinking Iím going to sell, the body is bare aluminum and while it is in good condition it certainly isnít shiny, similarly the original cloth seats are very sun-faded and the drivers seat has a hole cut for a harness strap.

Given some people like their 7ís shiny and fancy and others like them more *natural* Iím debating whether I should have the seats re-covered and the body polished before advertising it - yet the other half of me things itíd be better to leave those choices to the buyer, they may want different seats and not want to take on polishing duties etc.

For those that have bought and sold what are your thoughts? Iíve been quoted over $1,000 to have two seats reupholstered which seems a little crazy when I could buy two Kirmes seats with covers for that.

Would love some insights thanks, Chris.

Shine it up and fix the seats. People judge books (and cars) by their cover. How many times have you seen a worn looking car for sale and the comments are always negative,e.g.: If it looks that bad, imagine what the condition is of the stuff you can't see, etc.
    IMHO, of course....
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

Yes, people are drawn to shinny objects. It also depends on who you are looking to sell it to. Shinny and clean cars are better for the street, C&C, car shows and track cars not so much.
    Life happens while you're making other plans
    1995 Caterham Crossflow RHD
    1990 Miata
    2007 GMC Sierra WT
    2013 Mini (Her's)
    2014 Outback
    JOHN DEERE D130

Makes sense on polishing it up, how about seats? They are solid but faded, have them covered (est. around $1k) or replace with something like Kirkey rave seats? Again it seems people have very different desires but looks are important too.

At todays' exchange rate, a new pair of cloth seats from Caterham is <$835. Shipping will obviously add to that, but given the variable quality I've seen with recovered seats, if the costs are similar, I'd go with new. Kirkey seats can be a little polarizing. Some folks love them, some don't. The broader your appeal, the better.

-John
    '95 Westfield SEiW w/2.0L Duratec
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '91 Miata w/Flyin Miata suspension & brakes
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    '86 Porsche 944 turbo (neglected project car)
    Throttle Steer

I hear you but similarly for someone who wants race seats it’s like throwing $1k away isn’t it? I’m not going to pay $1k to have the seats re-done, may as well buy new if it’s that much or try Kirkey or some others from Jegs.

You're the one who brought up spending $1000 to recover the seats, I was just providing another option at a similar cost I do think that spending money to go non-stock, and do so in a way that isn't highly popular, will narrow your market. For better feedback on the seats, it might help to post some photos. The consensus may be they fine as they are, or it could be they are a major problem and you need to do something. My guess is the former, but we really don't have anything to go by.

-John
    '95 Westfield SEiW w/2.0L Duratec
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '91 Miata w/Flyin Miata suspension & brakes
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    '86 Porsche 944 turbo (neglected project car)
    Throttle Steer

Let’s see if this will work from my phone...
    Name:  2893F6C1-8911-45D1-ACDA-39C9E11AAC27.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  23.0 KBName:  6A90C2D8-A7C7-4B40-95E4-D17405922CFE.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  22.8 KB

They dont look all that bad to me. What engine/suspension/transmission does it have (i.e., how likely is it to become a track car?). As you note, the seats will be a replacement item if it will see significant track duty.
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

I could always get a pair of these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...saAlbXEALw_wcB to tidy thinks up.

It is a 2013 SV, 1.6 Sigma with individual throttle bodies, 6-speed, LSD