Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Gluing fenders on adventures

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    322

    Default Gluing fenders on adventures

    As some of you know, my glued on fenders (Sikaflex) have failed on last NJMP 7's event.

    Even though they drove down to NJ just fine for hours from NY, I suspect the increased temperature of hot days and track have put the glue to the limit and failed. Ironically I was prepared and I brought my bolted on spares as well. Swapped after the fail and then the bolt inserts failed next...

    Name:  iOY4pvE.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  55.7 KB

    Either way I had to wait until temperature was warm enough to reapply the adhesive.

    Maybe this thread will help somebody in the future as this is a pretty common subject within the 7s community.



    Sikaflex is generally accepted as the top go-to adhesive but it comes in many varieties as well as different ways of application. I don't glue the fenders directly on as I like the ability to take them off for service issues and other parts swapping. So I ordered the big head fasteners.


    I originally used Sikaflex 292i (white). One side held just fine, the other fender 3 out of the 4 have failed to adhere to the stainless Bigheads.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    This time around not only am I switching to Sikaflex 221 (black) I'm also using the Sika recommended primer on the one side. (Sika primer 207, pretty expensive for such a little bottle!)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/CRL-Black-Pri.../dp/B0737DN7CY

    The primer should help adhesion to the Bighead fasteners.

    Being a believer of don't fix it if it aint broken, I did not redo the side that hasn't failed but I laid a generous amount of new Sikaflex over the top for good measure.
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Pictures of the failed bond after scraping remnants off fender






    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Doubling down on ones that haven't failed





    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Failed side with primer

    Waiting 7 days for full cure now




    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •