Thread: Shelter at Home and Craigslist = 2.0L Duratec CNG

Default Shelter at Home and Craigslist = 2.0L Duratec CNG

Spending too much time staring into a screen and surfing CL to blow off steam after another Zoom class meeting finally yielded something interesting.

A 2011 Ford Transit 2.0L Duratec CNG engine, for the price of getting it out of someone's storage unit NOW. I've done little other than bring it home, in fact it's still in the back of the girlfriend's CRV. I'm curious to see what I find. I have limited experience with CNG, but it's my guess that they changed little more than the injection system when converting from gasoline. I hope that the insides of the engine are as clean as I remember CNG units being. On the CNG gensets we used to use the valves took a beating, otherwise they were great.

So, does anyone here know what I can expect to find in a CNG Duratec motor? My hopes are that it will make no difference at all when I convert it to ITB's and a dry sump with new cams/rods/pistons... If nothing else I now have a lower profile cam cover for the 2.3!

Andy

So, you got the package for the long block not the induction system?
    Life happens while you're making other plans
    1995 Caterham Crossflow RHD
    1990 Miata
    2007 GMC Sierra WT
    2013 Mini (Her's)
    2014 Outback
    JOHN DEERE D130

Yep, I was after the long block.

The engine is still in the back of the CRV, but I pulled the exhaust manifold, intake manifold, fuel rail and injectors off today to see if there was anything different from a regular gasoline motor and to lighten things up a bit. Looks like the answer is no. The interior of the ports look new, CNG is CLEAN!!! There is no carbon in the exhaust manifold, just clean metal, it's kind of weird. The head is the same as on my 2.3 and the front cover appears to be the same as a Focus part. There is a nice factory oil cooler combined with the oil filter bracket.

I'm looking forward to checking out the guts.

Andy