Thread: Weber carb bracket - crossflow

Default Weber carb bracket - crossflow

Hi folks- I am replacing my downdraft DGV with proper side drafts. There is a mystery bracket between the side drafts that is no longer available from Caterham and no picture seems to exist of it. It has been described as a V shape and mounts below the carbs on the inspection plate.

Does anyone have one that they can take a picture of and add some basic dimensions? Otherwise a picture inside the engine bay from underneath?

Thanks!
    Pete

Hi Pete,

The bracket serves two purposes. It holds the two carbs in alignment when they are removed from the manifold, and ay the bottom of the V it holds the outer shield of the throttle cable. In the attached picture you can see the inner throttle cable going up from the place where the outer shield is held. You can also see the two arms leading up towards the bottom of the two carbs. I am not sure what the wire that also is attached to the bracket does. Didn't notice it before. Went out and took another look. It is the bottom of the throttle return spring.

I am sure this is a Weber part and not specific to Caterhams.

Anker
    Name:  IMG_0408.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  81.1 KB
    Last edited by Anker; 05-11-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    1987 Caterham 1700 Supersprint
    2002 Porsche Boxster
    2004 Porsche Boxster S
    1941 Dodge Luxury Liner
    2009 Mercedes CLK 350 Cabriolet
    2017 Chevrolet Volt

You will also need the adapter that connects the two butterfly valves and also have an adjustment screw for balancing the carbs. It allows you to control the two carbs with a single throttle cable.

I am sure you can manufacture a bracket yourself if you have reasonable metal working skills.

You may already have that.
    2002 Porsche Boxster
    2004 Porsche Boxster S
    1941 Dodge Luxury Liner
    2017 Chevrolet Volt

I’m not so sure it’s a Weber part. Didn’t find it after a quick look on Pierce Manifold, although they do have lots of linkage parts and kits.

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/category_s/223.htm

Maybe contact Redline Components in the UK?
    http://www.redlinecomponents.co.uk/

Thanks for the picture, I have a much better idea of what this looks like. Gotta love the clever spring retention hole integrated into the cable nipple sleeve. This is a Caterham specific part, not weber. I've contacted Redline UK without success (email and phone), will try again.

Ken at Dave Bean has been very helpful, and gave me a great sketch for Lotus applications. It's for sure different than Anker's picture, so this also points to the Caterham specific part. So my follow on questions:
    1. Is the V bracket a tube or a plate with a lip on it? If a tube, does it have flattened ends to fasten to the carbs? If a plate, approx thickness?
    2. How does the V bracket fasten to the weber inspection plate? 2 screws on each carb? All 4 each carb? If 2 screws, which 2?
    Pete

I'll have to remove the air filters to get a better view of how it is fastened to the carbs.

The bracket is a tube on my car.
    2002 Porsche Boxster
    2004 Porsche Boxster S
    1941 Dodge Luxury Liner
    2017 Chevrolet Volt

I went through my toolbox and found this. Is this what you need? I never used it with my Caterham.
    Name:  8698BEF0-FEB3-452A-AD71-4A798C72349C.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  21.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MoBoost; 05-12-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    Jon
    2008 Lotus Elise S/C
    1985 Twin Cam Powered Caterham (sold)

That's the one I have. The exact same!

Anker
    2002 Porsche Boxster
    2004 Porsche Boxster S
    1941 Dodge Luxury Liner
    2017 Chevrolet Volt

Thanks again guys. Jon was up for selling his 1985 bracket, so I am one step closer now!!