Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: New Build

Hmmm I went with track on recommendation from Bruce. I wish Caterham would publish spring rates for all the choices. I have no idea the actual difference between them.

Proof Pokey's car can move under its own power!

-John
    '95 Westfield SEiW w/2.0L Duratec
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '91 Miata w/Flyin Miata suspension & brakes
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    '86 Porsche 944 turbo (neglected project car)
    Throttle Steer

So... had my first adventure. This morning I was going to meet John at his place and go for a drive. We are about 20 miles apart, maybe 35 minutes or so driving, and about half way there I noticed the engine stumbling a tiny bit. It cleared up with revs so I thought maybe it wasn't up to temperature or I had fouled the plugs - something that would take care of itself. About two-thirds of the way there I knew I had a problem, but now I was past the point of no return so I crossed my fingers and ventured on. I came to a sputtering stop at about the 15 mile mark.

Here's the dumb(er) bit, I brought only a bottle of tire inflator and one box end wrench to adjust side-view mirrors with.

A call to AAA to learn that they wouldn't touch me with a 10 foot pole, and then a call to my son to have him fetch my truck and a trailer. In the mean time John delivered tools and we got to troubleshooting with Mike (Croc) on the phone and Bruce on text.

The issue wound up being an Econoseal terminal in the fuel injector harness that wasn't fully seated. Strangely, and probably not coincidentally, that pin is shorter than the other five in that connector. Such is life sometimes.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeySpoony View Post
    Hmmm I went with track on recommendation from Bruce. I wish Caterham would publish spring rates for all the choices. I have no idea the actual difference between them.
    Yah, you can't find much information from the factory. Heck, their online parts catalog doesn't include descriptions, just titles. But I wouldn't sweat it, if Bruce recommended then you are good.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCh View Post
    Proof Pokey's car can move under its own power!

-John
    That's awesome John! I had no idea you had the GoPro going on little 'ol Slow Pokey, what fun.
    Greg

The situation today is one reason I love se7ens so much; the community. Mike's on East Coast, probably having a mid-afternoon bourbon, Bruce is on the West Coast finishing another coffee (mandatory here in the PNW), but between the 4 of us, we got the car running and were able to salvage the drive.

Greg's car is beautifully finished and painted in the fastest color Short, but fun drive today!

-John
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    Throttle Steer

Not a GoPro. My video consultant (i.e. Croc) put me into a DJI Osmo Action Camera, and Audio Technique microphone.

-John
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    Throttle Steer

Can't speak for others, but when I got the Birkin, I did carry a full tool bag for months. May have looked stupid carrying it into the gym.

Loved the video. YOU DID IT!

Looks like a day/night mirror? How soft can Caterham guys get?

Congratulations and it's wonderful your "crew" was able to help. It takes a village, no make that pit crew.

Quote Originally Posted by panamericano View Post
    Looks like a day/night mirror? How soft can Caterham guys get?
    Um, that day/night mirror is in a Westfield. And we can get very soft. I even have a locking boot with a separate key to keep things safe from valets!

-John
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    Throttle Steer

Quote Originally Posted by coffee break View Post

As to parts inventory and missing stuff, Caterham has been doing this for a few years, one would think they would have it figured out by now.
    Rather than get frustrated I prefer to think that Caterham is just furthering the great tradition of British car builders
    Greg