Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: New Build

Quote Originally Posted by panamericano View Post
    I would not dare instruct the Croc on his work (?) habits. I was just thanking John for posting the mud flap pictures. I do hope John also has the sense of humor.
    No, I don't have a sense of humor, and I'm borderline pathologically vindictive. I smell a ban coming...

The line "looking good" should have been your tip off that it wasn't about you.
    Okay, that scores you some points and pacifies my ban finger.

Now back to our regularly scheduled build updates from Greg.

-John
    '95 Westfield SEiW w/2.0L Duratec
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '91 Miata w/Flyin Miata suspension & brakes
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    '86 Porsche 944 turbo (neglected project car)
    Throttle Steer

Quote Originally Posted by panamericano View Post
    Oh. please show us a picture of the mud flaps. Sounds like a good idea. Are they removable?
    here ya go...
    (best pic i could find) i epoxy'd a pair of BigHeads benath the trailing fender edge; then used nyloc nuts. I cut them out of ? 1/8" lexan plexiglass from the home center. They are more flexible than I'd expected: flexing if i run over something big yet otherwise rigid enough to stay in position.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wemtd; 06-03-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Can't recall where I read something about front flaps causing rocks to eject over the bonnet (note the effort I'm making here by not calling it a hood) and into the windscreen. The takeaway is the flap creates a trap for the rocks such that rather than follow a predictable trajectory (which appears to be to the rear wing) they go places unexpected. Don't suppose anyone with flaps here agrees with that hypothesis?

The folks with Premier Paint Guard were quick to respond to my questions and will ship to the US for around 35. I'm going to order up the rear wings and the nosecone at a minimum. I thought about paying someone to do this work but a bit of looking has me thinking it would be expensive, as in a few hundred dollars expensive, and I'm not likely going to save money by buying in bulk and cutting pieces myself.

Still need to find that fuel line retaining clip. What I ordered from Dorman didn't work and I'm having a heck of a time finding a Ford part number. Guess it is time to email Bruce.
    Last edited by Pokey; 06-03-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    Greg

Kudos for calling it a bonnet. To achieve elite status, you'll need to start making aluminum a 5 syllable word. I still struggle with that one There is some truth to rocks ejecting over the bonnet with mud flaps. I live down a long gravel driveway. When driving it at low speeds, a small piece of gravel will occasionally kick up and land on the bonnet. However, I've never noticed this occurring on the road.

-John
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    Throttle Steer

Quote Originally Posted by Croc View Post
    Another option that many do not like the look of, but is protective, is covering the front half of the rear wings with truck bed liner paint like LineX It stands up well to the abuse wings get over time.
    That would certainly protect the wing. I've settled on the use of the stone guards with the addition of protective film for the bits not covered. Hindsight being what it is, I would have opted for carbon like you did.
    Greg

When I first bought mine it had flaps installed and bedliner type protection on the rear wings.

Mentioned that I wanted to remove the flaps and was HIGHLY recommended not to do so. Have been on there since. Have never noticed any rocks going over the bonnet. Most of the little ones bounce off the rear wings and end up in the cockpit when driving without side curtains on. The bedliner has held up well.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by FE07 View Post
    When I first bought mine it had flaps installed and bedliner type protection on the rear wings.

Mentioned that I wanted to remove the flaps and was HIGHLY recommended not to do so. Have been on there since. Have never noticed any rocks going over the bonnet. Most of the little ones bounce off the rear wings and end up in the cockpit when driving without side curtains on. The bedliner has held up well.

Jim
    So far everyone with an opinion has favored having front flaps. Any detractors out there that wouldn't want to see a newbie MacGyver flaps on a brand new 420?
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    So far everyone with an opinion has favored having front flaps. Any detractors out there that wouldn't want to see a newbie MacGyver flaps on a brand new 420?
    *Raises hand*
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

I think a lot of people don't like them simply because they don't care for the aesthetics. Nothing wrong with that. How do you feel about that aspect?

-John
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    Throttle Steer

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCh View Post
    I think a lot of people don't like them simply because they don't care for the aesthetics. Nothing wrong with that. How do you feel about that aspect?

-John
    I'm not thrilled with the esthetics, no where near as bitchin' as the Yosemite Sam flaps I had on the rear of my '69 Chevelle in High School.

Wemtd with his clear lexan bling seems to have found a balance between function and rock chips. If I go with front flaps I'll do something similar.
    Greg