Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: New Build

Quote Originally Posted by sf4018 View Post
    Nice progress, much faster than me! Couple of thoughts...
    Engine Oil - they recommended to me splitting the oil fill between the engine and the tank, split isn't that important. Maybe add 1 litre to the tank just to stop it sucking in air when you first start it? The running level in the tank is quite low so it's not going to damage anything if you over fill a little.
    Front Wing - +1 on the Sikaflex 521, seems like the right product for the application.
    Hadn't thought about the pump pulling air from the sump tank. I added a quart to the tank before cranking to create oil pressure.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky-7 View Post
    I don't know if you saw my build thread, but I had my wings sprayed with bed liner material at a local shop. I marked the front ones where the supports would go so he masked them off there, and the rears he sprayed full length.
    I figured it would help with stones flying up and star cracking the wings.
    For the front wing mounting, (very messy) I used a professional grade 2 part epoxy that body shops use to bond body panels together. I got mine from a body shop customer of mine, expensive but worth it. $85.00 Came with a mini dual caulking type gun, and nozzles, so the mix is exact. Norton makes it but there are other brands. Swing by a body shop and ask.
    I did see your post about the wings and the spray on liner some time ago and was toying with the idea of doing something similar as I've read about "star" cracks forming from rock hits. But then I unwrapped the wings last week and realized how insubstantial they are. I haven't put one on a scale but would guess not too much more than a pound apiece. That got me thinking about their purpose, weight, how carbon fiber would be a nice upgrade, that wings must really be a consumable on a Seven, what a pain it is to do anything with COVID around, etc. so I decided to not make a decision and just roll on. Well, what I really decided was to get the wings on and then think applying an undercoat myself.

Any words of wisdom regarding the application of the epoxy? I'm using a 3M version, but same thing, two-parts, a gun and a mixing nozzle. My thinking is a thin bead on each wing stay, set them down on the stay and gently tape each end to the tire - no pressure to speak of just keep things from moving. Then after a day come back and lay down a larger bead on each side of the stay and wipe smooth like I would caulking with silicone. The first step seems the trickiest - getting things to stay put. Another thought was a strap around the tire and wing but that just seems like it would be harder to do and I don't think I need to create a clamping force as the goal is not to drive all of the epoxy out of the gap.
    Greg

Name:  IMG_3691.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  67.5 KB

That, my friends, is gasoline puddling on top of the pump housing. We tried to fire the engine last night but it was apparent it wasn't getting fuel. Then someone noticed something dripping...

The end of the fuel line presses into the pump housing and it wasn't pressed all of the way in. Having said that, I'm not sure if it came from the factory like that or if the fuel pressure pushed it out as there is no mechanical fixing, just a press fit. I've reached out to Bruce to ask him as that just doesn't seem right to me. Maybe a circlip is missing?
    Greg

Glad you found it when you did. A press fit without an additional mechanical fastener does seem a bit odd given the pressure involved, but I don't see a groove or other indication of a fastener in the white plastic housing. Do fingers from the fitting go through the slots in the white plastic? Perhaps that's enough? Interested to see the resolution.

-John
    '95 Westfield SEiW w/2.0L Duratec
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '91 Miata w/Flyin Miata suspension & brakes
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    '86 Porsche 944 turbo (neglected project car)
    Throttle Steer

I agree, the fitting looks like it is made for a connector with tabs that lock into the holes.
    1987 Caterham 1700 Supersprint
    2002 Porsche Boxster
    2004 Porsche Boxster S
    1941 Dodge Luxury Liner
    2009 Mercedes CLK 350 Cabriolet
    2017 Chevrolet Volt

Make sure the line isn’t pinched off somewhere like the LSD or tranny area, or bent sharply somewhere.

Hey Greg, it's a bloody mess. I did almost all of mine in one shot. Then added some more on the next day. I also sanded the top of the uprights to bare metal so the epoxy bonded really good to the steel. I also hit the fenders a little for the same reason. Did you do have the wires through the supports for the repeaters? I drilled the holes for the ground and attached the ground wires before gluing. And I installed the repeaters.
    I feel pretty confident they won't pop off somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Anker View Post
    I agree, the fitting looks like it is made for a connector with tabs that lock into the holes.

I think you win Anker, I'm missing a retaining clip. I've not found a Ford OEM part number yet, but ordered a clip from Dorman that looks to be somewhat universal. If that doesn't work then this may wind up being something I'll have to rely on Bruce to get from Caterham.

Greg

To all you recent builders, did you use the rubber trim around the rear wing stone protectors? I'm considering not using this trim so that the stone protectors lie flat against the wing and don't dimple at the rivets. I'm also unclear as to what the purpose of this trim might be? Is this an IVA thing the Brits have to deal with?
    Greg

Greg,

We used the trim mostly to give it a more finished look but also because it protects the wing from the shield with a little space for deflection on impact from rocks and stuff. We, at the recommendation of Josh Robbins from Rocky Mountain Caterham, also used small stainless nuts and bolts that had hex drive to fasten the shield instead of rivets. When the inevitable replacement time comes, it will be whole lot easier...plus it looks really cool.