Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Build

I have maximum camber in my S3 Caterham and the steering is very heavy (too heavy, even at speed). I switched to a larger, detachable, steering wheel (that grazes my legs) to get more mechanical leverage in this track-only car. Otherwise I was worn out after one track session of 30'.
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

It is more likely the issue is toe-in. For track use I would set the front toe-in at zero degrees. You may prefer slightly more front toe-in, but it sounds like you have way too much.
    1987 Caterham 1700 Supersprint
    2002 Porsche Boxster
    2004 Porsche Boxster S
    1941 Dodge Luxury Liner
    2009 Mercedes CLK 350 Cabriolet
    2017 Chevrolet Volt

Toe is not the problem. With MikeM's car, it involves caster, and the fact that he has an "Autocross" steering rack fitted. It is a super-quick ratio, so mechanical advantage is much lower. I've always thought that car could be faster at the limit with a less aggressive steering ratio, since the effort would be lower to maintain just the right amount of slip-angle with steering corrections.

Cheers,
    -Bruce
    Beachman Racing
    Authorized Caterham Cars dealer

That's an interesting fact about my steering rack, Bruce, one I didn't know. As it happens, I have had a brand new wide-track steering rack in the basement, gathering dust for 10 years. I don't think it is the faster, auto-X type I now have. I will check and if it is the normal-speed rack, I will swap it in as I have always hated the huge effort required to steer my car. I compensated somewhat with the larger steering wheel, but it blocks my vision of the instruments and rubs on the top of my legs.

Now back to your regular programming.....
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Type R, sold
    '19 Miata Clubsport

My advice is to follow the build guide. Mine came out just right. I took it to my alignment guy and the only thing we adjusted was a bit of toe. Ruby handles great so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky-7 View Post
    My advice is to follow the build guide. Mine came out just right. I took it to my alignment guy and the only thing we adjusted was a bit of toe. Ruby handles great so far.
    That's the thing, one manual calls for 040 and the other 222.
    Greg

I settled on 222 for caster. I suspect the difference in steering between 040 and 222 isn't going to be terribly noticeable, at least for a noob like me. An acquaintance in England spoke to the factory and he was told 404 is a good setting, so anything appears to work.

So... I took out 040 and reinstalled 222. I think I've had enough fun with that.

Name:  IMG_5358.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  71.5 KB
    Greg

I built my own 420 S in 2017, I also got the kit from Bruce Beachman, I live in Carnation, where do you live and if you need any help I would love to see your project. ABuilding my own car was a blast , the English build guide was alittle off but I managed , some calls to Bruce, some Emails to England and a loving wife who let me spend time in my shop. That said, I would love to build another one. Give me a call 425 785 8225 Steven

Quote Originally Posted by skyoung View Post
    I built my own 420 S in 2017, I also got the kit from Bruce Beachman, I live in Carnation, where do you live and if you need any help I would love to see your project. ABuilding my own car was a blast , the English build guide was alittle off but I managed , some calls to Bruce, some Emails to England and a loving wife who let me spend time in my shop. That said, I would love to build another one. Give me a call 425 785 8225 Steven
    Love to see an all black version, how about posting us a picture here? I was joking with John that color was the hardest part of specifying our build. I really like Caterham's orange, and the more traditional British colors of the 50's and 60's too, but my wife really likes red. So we compromised on red

I'm really hoping she falls in love with the way the car looks so much that she is willing to get into it with me... I'm not her favorite driver.
    Greg

Ok Greg - it's been a long rainy weekend. Perfect weather for some build progress...let's see it :-)

Cheers,
    -Bruce
    Beachman Racing
    Authorized Caterham Cars dealer