Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 65 Lotus Seven S2

Pretty slick solution for pre-emission socially conscientious engineering. It just tries to slow down the air flow enough to let the oil collect on the mesh in droplets that then drain back into the sump. Or make a mess on the side of the engine and then on the ground. the constant coating of oil has kept is nice and corrosion free. That's a big plus.
    Ron

'14 Evora IPS
    '84 Turbo Esprit
    '77 S1 (deceased)
    '62 Lotus Seven S2 109E Cosworth

Name:  compressiontest05232020.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  65.6 KB

Good results on compression test. Got close on tuning, but still have some afterfire. I know the scorcher/bosch distributor is a good one, but I don't have any idea what advance should be to compare against. I have rebuilt the original lucas and it has been tested for the correct advance curve, just need to get and make some leads. Other than the afterfire popping, it is running pretty well. And looks ok, too.

Name:  05232020pic1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  98.7 KB
    Henry
    1965 Seven S2
    1969 Elan S4

Mmmm. Shiny.

Lookin' good.
    Ron

'14 Evora IPS
    '84 Turbo Esprit
    '77 S1 (deceased)
    '62 Lotus Seven S2 109E Cosworth

Proper looking car
    Westfield 7, Series 1

Car definitely looks more than just ok....looks great.
    Stalker V8, chassis #85

Stalker Chassis #85 Build Gallery
    Stalker Chassis #85 Owner Thread

Get up in the morning and give the day your very best. You donít get it back.

Thanks guys.

I'm back to focusing on the timing - starting with dwell, which was a bit lower than expected when I checked. I'm going to pull the scorcher/bosch distributor apart tomorrow and make sure the advance weights and springs are clean and moving easily, reset the points gap, and make sure there isn't too much play in the spindle. I've also realized I've been misinterpreting the timing marks on the chest as TDC when they really represent 10 degrees BTDC. So, I've been starting with too much advance and don't know how the distributor in place was setup - too many variables, no wonder I can't set my carbs right! I'll keep horsing with it while waiting for some new leads from magnecor for the Lucas dizzy, maybe I'll come on it by luck.

I have some of Keith Franck's latest emulsion tubes to try out, too, but really want to maximize stock first so I have a good basis for evaluating his tubes. It is really hard with these cars to stick with just changing one thing at a time!
    Henry
    1965 Seven S2
    1969 Elan S4

Dizzy was pretty clean,, but could use some new points.
    Also replaced the HT leads after finding one with much higher resistance than the rest (though still under 12k ohms).

Made some good progress on the running today, thanks to some help from Keith Franck and others.

Surprisingly found a primary contributor to my afterfire/popping were the replacement idle mix adjustment screws that came with my rebuild kit. The newer ones are more narrowly tapered than the older, blunter screws - and it seems they were letting in a good bit of air. Going back to the old ones almost completely eliminated the afterfire.

Also tried Keith's non-frothing emulsion tube replacements - they had a huge impact on lowering the transition point at which the main jets kick in and went a long way towards eliminating the sub-3k rpm flat spot. I still have some tweaking to do but quite happy.
    Henry
    1965 Seven S2
    1969 Elan S4