Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harnesses for US Trackdays

Default Harnesses for US Trackdays

I need to pick harnesses for my Caterham build: are there any special requirements for FIA certification etc. to get onto a track day in the US? Specifically the main California tracks. I ask because my car will be mainly road use and I was looking at some non-FIA 4-point harnesses:

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/seatbelt...-black-rh.html

FIA certification gets you 5 yr belts. SFI cert gets you 2 yrs. Tom
    Mangia bene, Ridi spesso, Ama molto, Guidare veloce

2000 Caterham Superlight #123
    1.8L VHPD Rover K Series
    2009 Caterham SV
    2.3L Cosworth Duratec

It seems Caterham sells 2 types of belts and the FIA belts, with their expiration date tags, are required by many track organizers. The belts you reference may not have expiration dates on them. If not, you risk flunking inspection.

Typically the bigger the organization, like Porsche Club, the pickier they are. For instance, the folks at NJMP, where we have our annual event, won't let cars on track with expired or no belts tags. Others, like the small clubs I run with in the Midwest, never check belts.

To be safe, I'd say use the FIA belts. As you will discover, once assembled, it is a huge PITA to change belts out in a Caterham.
    Kitcat:AKA, Sir Spinsalot
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car
    '19 Honda Civic, Type-R

Quote Originally Posted by Kitcat View Post
    It seems Caterham sells 2 types of belts and the FIA belts, with their expiration date tags, are required by many track organizers. The belts you reference may not have expiration dates on them. If not, you risk flunking inspection.

Typically the bigger the organization, like Porsche Club, the pickier they are. For instance, the folks at NJMP, where we have our annual event, won't let cars on track with expired or no belts tags. Others, like the small clubs I run with in the Midwest, never check belts.

To be safe, I'd say use the FIA belts. As you will discover, once assembled, it is a huge PITA to change belts out in a Caterham.
    The pictured ones are the ones that I bought and I fell into that trap. They are NOT date stamped or FIA approved. As the description (now) reads.

They will have no date stamps on them.

Don't be like me and have to buy belts on the way down to the track and have to swap them at 11:30 at night in the hotel parking lot. (not fun)
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

FIA just for the recert spans, and not much spendier than SFI. G-Force and Racequip make well priced ones. What seats are you using? I wouldn't like to be on track without an anti sub belt personally.

Speaking from experience, at my last Track Night in America at NJMP, which is pretty lax as far as SCCA goes (self tech sheet, etc), they wouldn't let me use my 6 point harness in my Elise because they were out of date. I had to wear my 3 point stock belt instead. Theoretically I suppose I could have worn my harness OVER the stock belt, but that just seemed silly. They also broomsticked me even though targas aren't supposed to be subject to that, so as always, YMMV.
    Birkin S3, Dunnell Zetec Powered
    Toyota Celica GT-S, Toyota MR2 Turbo GT-S, Lotus Elise (RIP)
    Yamaha Bolt C-Spec, KTM 625 SMC, Yamaha TW200 scrambler, Yamaha SR250 tracker, Honda CB360 bobber

Thanks. I run the original Tilletts:

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/race-sea...my-b-bird.html

Yeah, definitely get something with an anti sub belt. Many tracks probably wouldn't let you on with a 4 point.
    Birkin S3, Dunnell Zetec Powered
    Toyota Celica GT-S, Toyota MR2 Turbo GT-S, Lotus Elise (RIP)
    Yamaha Bolt C-Spec, KTM 625 SMC, Yamaha TW200 scrambler, Yamaha SR250 tracker, Honda CB360 bobber

You may want to consider the Schroth Profi II ASM that I have in my car. It is FIA certified and they are designed to be used as both a four or six point system. That way you can use it as a four point system on the road and six point when required on the track. Downside is they are pricey.

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/profi
    Jay

Pricey, but much safer than normal 4-points and comfortable. Unlike some of the cheaper brands, Schroth webbing is quite pliable and their 1/4 turn buckles are easy to use. For track driving I use sub belts in a 6-point configuration, but for street driving, I stick with the 4-point option.

The ASM technology is actually very simple: an extra flap of material is sewn into the inner shoulder belt. In a collision, the stitching breaks, leading your torso to slightly rotate outward, thereby placing your inside pelvis over the lap belt and preventing you from sliding underneath. The big danger from submarining is the lap belt effectively rides up your torso and can crush your unprotected organs. This video spotlights the safety difference:

-John
    '95 Westfield SEiW w/2.0L Duratec
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '91 Miata w/Flyin Miata suspension & brakes
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    '86 Porsche 944 turbo (neglected project car)
    Throttle Steer

Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    The pictured ones are the ones that I bought and I fell into that trap. They are NOT date stamped or FIA approved. As the description (now) reads.

They will have no date stamps on them.

Don't be like me and have to buy belts on the way down to the track and have to swap them at 11:30 at night in the hotel parking lot. (not fun)
    Which FIA ones did you end up with?