Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2.0L Duratec Rebuild

The Raceco silencer has steadily increased in volume over the years and was clearly due for a rebuild. Disassembly showed the packing in the back 2/3 was in near perfect shape, but grew progressively worse towards the inlet end, with a several inch long section completely burned away. Raceco covers the core tube with a very fine mesh which adds life to the packing material, but which also burns away over time. Replacing the packing,but not the core tube when needed, simply ensures that the replacement packing won't have a long life. In the case of my silencer, the core tube was shot and replacement was mandatory.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raceco packing.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	16203

Name:	raceco core old.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	16204

Name:	Raceco parts new.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	16205

As long as everything was apart, a minor cosmetic restoration was undertaken to clean away grunge from years of exhaust leaks and to sand down the road rash from the grit and gravel sprayed from the right front tire. As you can see from the before and after photos, it still won't pass for new, but looks far more presentable.

Name:	Raceco tip dirty.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	16206

Name:	raceco clean 1.jpg 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	16207

Name:	Raceco end dirty.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	16208

Name:	raceco clean end.jpg 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	16209

Thanks to very tight tolerances, reassembly was a bit fiddly, but it's back together and ready to go on the car once the engine and exhaust manifold are reinstalled. Unfortunately I'm still a few months away from those events and even further from hearing how it sounds.

-John
    '95 Westfield SEiW w/2.0L Duratec
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '91 Miata w/Flyin Miata suspension & brakes
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    '86 Porsche 944 turbo (neglected project car)
    Throttle Steer

The head was dropped off at the shop about 3 weeks ago with a target of mid-December completion. This timing would allow me to reassemble and install the engine over my break the last half of December, but delays with the different machine shop doing the short block work have thrown that timetable out the window. The good news is that my spot there finally opened up last week and yesterday I learned they can address the damage in #1 mentioned earlier with a minor overbore. Although they said 0.25mm would do it, the Omega pistons come in a 0.5mm overbore, which means I'm going big and increasing displacement by a whopping 22.9cc.

Raceline is pulling together the package of parts that includes the pistons, rings, o-rings/intake seals for the Jenvey throttle bodies, and the various replacement items needed to rebuild the wet sump. Hopefully pistons aren't held up in customs and I can have the car back on the road by late January/early February. That's a perfect time of year in the PNW to break in a new engine in a se7en and do road mapping (note to those who are sarcastically challenged: yes, that was sarcasm).

Also an update on the journal damage pictured in post #2. Before dropping the short block off at the machine shop, I took a closer look at those specific bearings and noted a very subtle matching stain on the bottom shell which I missed during my initial inspection. The theory is that this staining resulted from the engine sitting for an indeterminate length of time before purchase. The machine shop said it's uncommon, but they've seen it before and don't have concerns, although to be fair they still haven't measured it to be 100% certain. I've asked them to do this before keying the crank.

-John
    '95 Westfield SEiW w/2.0L Duratec
    '68 Lotus Elan FHC
    '91 Miata w/Flyin Miata suspension & brakes
    '95 Porsche 993 C2
    '86 Porsche 944 turbo (neglected project car)
    Throttle Steer