Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotus Rebuild

What condition are the motor and trans in? I have a turbo 13B Rotus here in northeast PA.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94899F5A-5BB2-4ABF-8F63-D0F666EFEA4D.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	16045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2014C17-E170-418A-91D2-87A371AF3ECD.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	16044  
    Dan Lipperini Jr

www.RaceLabz.com

- Rotus 7 powered by a turbocharged and intercooled Mazda 13-B.
    - Mazda Miata powered by a Ford 302.
    - RM-8 Lotus 7 replica powered by a Honda F20C.
    - 1979 MGB powered by a Rover 3.5 V-8.

Quote Originally Posted by w650gb500 View Post
    What condition are the motor and trans in? I have a turbo 13B Rotus here in northeast PA.
    They're in the most exciting condition...unknown I sent you an email through the forum, let me know if you don't get it.

Good news - I got the donor Miata running this past weekend. It's got a VVT motor from an '02 in it and a Megasquirt. Now to take it all apart and figure out what parts of the harness I want to keep and what I want to re-make. Hopefully I can pull the drivetrain and get it mocked up in the chassis before Thanksgiving.

You may want to rub shoulders with the Exocet folks down in Atlanta. Those guys are well versed at repurposing Miatas. Quite certain they can provide guidance on what is/isnít needed on the harness.
    Stalker V8, chassis #85

Stalker Chassis #85 Build Gallery
    Stalker Chassis #85 Owner Thread

Get up in the morning and give the day your very best. You donít get it back.

I used this on recommendation from others for the frame.

Rather messy as it drips out of any holes you have.

It uses a long flexible tube you insert into one end of the frame which then shoots the product 360 degrees inside the tube as you pull it out, once dry you have a protective coating on the inside of your frame.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled - 1.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	16067  
    Life Can Be Cruel

Beware the VVT Miata engine is very tall, the VVT unit site on the top of the cam cover increasing the engine height by about 2 inches. I am not sure what Megasquirt you have but some cannot control the VVT unit so you might be able to just remove it.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/31202...-1/s-l1000.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by xcarguy View Post
    You may want to rub shoulders with the Exocet folks down in Atlanta. Those guys are well versed at repurposing Miatas. Quite certain they can provide guidance on what is/isn’t needed on the harness.
    Good call - it looks like there are a few videos and threads online with Exocet owners paring down the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightonuk View Post
    I used this on recommendation from others for the frame.

Rather messy as it drips out of any holes you have.

It uses a long flexible tube you insert into one end of the frame which then shoots the product 360 degrees inside the tube as you pull it out, once dry you have a protective coating on the inside of your frame.
    Thanks for the recommendation! Sounds pretty good to me and certainly can't hurt - I'll pick up a can.

Quote Originally Posted by fastg View Post
    Beware the VVT Miata engine is very tall, the VVT unit site on the top of the cam cover increasing the engine height by about 2 inches. I am not sure what Megasquirt you have but some cannot control the VVT unit so you might be able to just remove it.
    Ya - I'm mildly concerned about the motor fitting, but after measuring it and measuring the car on the ground, I think I can maintain 4-5" of ground clearance. If it does create a problem, I may just swap it with the non-VVT motor in my Lemons car and mount it a bit higher. As for the Megasquirt, it's a plug and play kit for the Miata that has been running the car for the past 4 or 5 years. Thankfully, I'm friends with the guy who did the VVT swap in the car, so I've got all the details on it.

Well, it's been a busy past month with a couple track days (including a friend wrecking a car during the first, then us fixing it for the second) and an autocross. I haven't made a ton of progress, but I did manage to get the drivetrain out of the Miata and did a test fit in the Rotus. It seems like I'd only have ~3.5" of ground clearance with the VVT actuator touching the hood. I will try to find some FWD oil pans to see if that would gain me some more clearance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191114_120203790.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	16210

Name:	IMG_20191121_152133813.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	16211

One thing I am having trouble finding is info on the shocks. They're Koni 80-2091, 15.5" extended length, 11" compressed. Even the Koni rebuilders can't find info about them in their systems. Rebuilding cost seems pretty high. The spring rates are ~80lbs/in front and ~100lbs/in rear. I'd be interested in what other folks are using for shocks. I have no plans to race the car, just street drive and maybe autocross it non-competitively.
    Last edited by jloehlein; 11-24-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Name:	IMG_20191114_120203790.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	16210

Name:	IMG_20191121_152133813.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	16211

One thing I am having trouble finding is info on the shocks. They're Koni 80-2091, 15.5" extended length, 11" compressed. Even the Koni rebuilders can't find info about them in their systems. Rebuilding cost seems pretty high. The spring rates are ~80lbs/in front and ~100lbs/in rear. I'd be interested in what other folks are using for shocks. I have no plans to race the car, just street drive and maybe autocross it non-competitively.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat that you are on the shocks. My Rotus framed Lola? has Carrillos and rides like a buckboard. And here in Arizona even the interstates favor off road suspension. The bushings were beat out of them when I got it. Btw the rotary was well suited to a 7. Worst thing is the "bark" but a turbo calms that down.

The people at QA 1 have been very helpful in helping me valve my shocks, and they have many body and shaft lengths to mix and match
    Mike
    2005 WCM Ultralite S2K