Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Zetec Power output

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    110

    Default

    I agree with 1turbofocus 100% on the oil pump. I have posted a couple times here about the billet gears....not a problem with stock gears and oil pressure, but the harmonics of a 4 cylinder create a tremendous force that can shatter the powdered metal stock gears that fit around the nose of the Zetec crank in a wetsump configuration. It is something you cannot balance out. You actually have 4 choices. Use a dry sump that has a pump that runs off a belt, use billet gears that can handle the battering (much like being hit with a hammer), stay below the 7400 rpm that 1turbofocus advises, or find a sophisticated balancer like an ATI to absorb the vibrations. ATI make a Duratec/MB6 front crank pulley, but not a Zetec one. Never use a lightweight front pulley. The stock damper at least absorbs some of the vibrations.

    The billet pumps some people have were from a batch done a number of years ago. Quicksilver and CMF did them. Maybe 1turbofocus had a part in it too. I don't think anyone has any of those left new. A fellow racer mentioned this company started selling a modified complete pump with billet gears. http://www.boundarypumps.com/ford-zetec/ford-zetec-s1 We ordered one and will see how it works.


    As far as the knock sensor, I use one on the dyno, but don't have it connected to the ECU to make corrections My situation is different however in racing. I do log A/F, rpm and knock to the Traqmate, as we as where knock might have happend on the track. I use a phormula KS-4 which is a standalone knock sensor. Some ECUs can take a feedback signal from it. In a street car I would recommend that, as a 1turbofocus would recommend I think, the stock ECU which has all that built in.
    2000, 2002 Caterham 7 America
    Ferrari 308 (1976)
    Lola T596 S2
    BMW 1 series
    BMW Z3 M Roadster
    BMW 2002 DTM wanta-be
    2015 Silverado to pull it all with

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Here is $3k worth of megasquirt stuff

    Engine Bay



    Brain



    Coils



    The hardware was 1/2 the price of the install and tune
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Engine Top View.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	15649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MegaSquirt Brain.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	15650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MegaSquirt Coils 1.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	15651  
    Life Can Be Cruel

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    204

    Default

    When you have a chance, could you tell me what PSI your fuel rail typically reads at while running? Thanks!
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vovchandr View Post
    When you have a chance, could you tell me what PSI your fuel rail typically reads at while running? Thanks!
    You want between 38-42psi of fuel psi under all conditions

    Tom

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dallasdude View Post
    stay below the 7400 rpm that 1turbofocus advises, or find a sophisticated balancer like an ATI to absorb the vibrations. ATI make a Duratec/MB6 front crank pulley, but not a Zetec one. Never use a lightweight front pulley. The stock damper at least absorbs some of the vibrations.

    The billet pumps some people have were from a batch done a number of years ago. Quicksilver and CMF did them. Maybe 1turbofocus had a part in it too. I don't think anyone has any of those left new. A fellow racer mentioned this company started selling a modified complete pump with billet gears. http://www.boundarypumps.com/ford-zetec/ford-zetec-s1 We ordered one and will see how it works..
    I didnt ask if he had the stock balancer or not , I would hope so , Yes Boundary has the billet pumps and they do look good , I dont know about there gears but the previous ones from quicksilver would still break in the 7800-8000 range so you only got a couple hundred RPM more from them

    Tom

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
    You want between 38-42psi of fuel psi under all conditions

    Tom
    That's exactly why I was asking! Ha! His setup is very similar to mine and identical throttle bodies with built in FPR.

    Before mine broke I was reading right around 50psi which we agreed in my thread was too high and when I was trying to turn it down on the screw gas was spewing past the gasket once I was giving it leverage on the adjustment screw.

    Since this was a week before the 7's event I left it alone and didn't want to end up breaking it further right before driving down a few hundred miles.
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    40

    Default



    While those relays and wiring will be perfectly fine... I would hate to have paid $125/hr for someone to have my wiring look like that. Looks very backyard mechanic.

    Could have used relay holders (for easier replacement), while hiding and raychem'ing the wiring loom. Micro relays would have been nicer too. Oh well.
    - 1300lbs, 170hp. British.
    - 2350lbs, 630hp. British.
    - 2700lbs, 180hp. German with a British accent.
    - 2700lbs, 200hp. German.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    While those relays and wiring will be perfectly fine... I would hate to have paid $125/hr for someone to have my wiring look like that. Looks very backyard mechanic.

    Could have used relay holders (for easier replacement), while hiding and raychem'ing the wiring loom. Micro relays would have been nicer too. Oh well.
    I will defend the guys who did this a little....yes they weren't cheap, but Raychem is all well and good if you are building a series of harnesses. For a one off or something the config might change on....you can very well rip it all back out. What if he installs a knock sensor like 1turbofocus recommends?
    I will admit I never used micro relays, but you can buy the Bosch style relays for 5 or 10 bucks almost anywhere. If you even suspect on is bad....you throw it away.
    2000, 2002 Caterham 7 America
    Ferrari 308 (1976)
    Lola T596 S2
    BMW 1 series
    BMW Z3 M Roadster
    BMW 2002 DTM wanta-be
    2015 Silverado to pull it all with

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dallasdude View Post
    I will defend the guys who did this a little....yes they weren't cheap, but Raychem is all well and good if you are building a series of harnesses. For a one off or something the config might change on....you can very well rip it all back out. What if he installs a knock sensor like 1turbofocus recommends?
    I will admit I never used micro relays, but you can buy the Bosch style relays for 5 or 10 bucks almost anywhere. If you even suspect on is bad....you throw it away.
    I dont think he ment anything was wrong with the way it was done working wise , he just felt for 125.00 an Hr a higher class of wiring should of been done , when you ask for advice/opinions sometimes you hear what you dont want to hear

    To install a KS now would be a nightmare and that cost should be on him , he should of known on this engine it needs to be there , he should of known about the RPM and the oil pump gears and at least installed the billet oil pump gears , in the areas that cover you the most he seems to of not addressed

    Are you running the stock Zetec balancer ?

    Tom

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Laurel MD
    Posts
    135

    Default

    The wiring looks fine, I like the engine management wiring to be totally separate with it's own power feed, this looks good, the Megasquirt with it two relays right next door looks good to me. By the way a base MS3 wiring harness is only $85.

    And people playing with fuel pressure, If you engine was tuned with a specific fuel pressure and you turn it down, you ARE running lean at full throttle. So if you car has been professionally tuned don't randomly adjust the fuel pressure.

    Graham

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •