Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Getting atrocious mileage?

vov
    if you can I've always taken mine out from below (except for an oil slick the first time). i found no amount of wrapping or plugging adequately seals the tail shaft end. The birkin has a removable frame brace beneath the gear box which allows it to be dropped straight down. I'm not sure if your frame allows this or not.
    Good luck and have fun getting intimate with your cat.

This is a couple of months old, but I thought I would add my two cents anyway. The fuel gauge on my Caterham is very inaccurate so I would not assume that because the gauge moved to the halfway point, you actually used half a tank of gas. It is also very difficult to fill the tank, and I believe this is a common problem. The 90° elbow on the filler neck just doesn’t seem to let gas and air pass in opposite directions readily. My car often regurgitates gas while filling it and I question whether I actually get it full. What is “full” at one stop may not be ”full” the next time. For some reason, I have found an individual pump at one station which seems to work most of the time. I finally eliminated the elbow leaving the original gas cap in place for appearance and added a straight filler tube inside the boot with its own cap. If you really want to check the fuel mileage, and don’t have a working odometer in the car, you may be able to record the distance on a GPS. I suggest driving a considerable distance, maybe a couple hundred miles. Try to get the tank absolutely full before doing this, record any fuel added during this period, and then make sure you get it absolutely full at the end. This will give you a lot better idea of what your fuel mileage actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by lotsats View Post
    This is a couple of months old, but I thought I would add my two cents anyway. The fuel gauge on my Caterham is very inaccurate so I would not assume that because the gauge moved to the halfway point, you actually used half a tank of gas. It is also very difficult to fill the tank, and I believe this is a common problem. The 90° elbow on the filler neck just doesn’t seem to let gas and air pass in opposite directions readily. My car often regurgitates gas while filling it and I question whether I actually get it full. What is “full” at one stop may not be ”full” the next time. For some reason, I have found an individual pump at one station which seems to work most of the time. I finally eliminated the elbow leaving the original gas cap in place for appearance and added a straight filler tube inside the boot with its own cap. If you really want to check the fuel mileage, and don’t have a working odometer in the car, you may be able to record the distance on a GPS. I suggest driving a considerable distance, maybe a couple hundred miles. Try to get the tank absolutely full before doing this, record any fuel added during this period, and then make sure you get it absolutely full at the end. This will give you a lot better idea of what your fuel mileage actually is.
    I appreciate the concerns, but for posterity's sake.

Mileage was logged using GPS as well as tripometer for the times when it worked. I tried to use the same gas pumps before and after for consistency. I've started doing much longer distances as well as you read through the thread. I tried my best to eliminate most variables and assumptions.

However when I would drive ~60 miles from full on highway and then be approaching E already I knew there is something going on beyond just gauge reading inaccurate.

In the end I got it into the teens/low 20's at best.

Still pending:
    Compression test
    FPR adjustment possibly while logging AF
    Getting PECTEL to communicate with software properly
    Making sure there is nothing seeping past the ITB butterfly's

Results won't be around for at least another month.
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

With respect to gas pumps: my Birkin was always very finicky filling up. I had to hold the nozzle at an angle, turned sideways, inserted as far in as possible, and just let a trickle of gas flow. Otherwise gas would splash back onto the nozzle and shut off flow. TBox56 filled me in on the solution: the stock gas tank had a small lip inside the filler at the top of the tank (round hole cut in tank, round pipe welded an an angle = oval mating surface. Trimming this internal lip solved the problem. Check to see if your tank has a similar situation.