Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Getting atrocious mileage?

Updates:

Fuel sender gasket replaced and used the forum suggested sealant. Hylomar Blue Gasket Marker. Now I can fill the tank fully again and continue testing.

Data: 15 mpg city for a brief city stint, and 14 mpg for a brief highway stint. Followed up by a 19mpg 130 mile highway stint.

New development > Hard start up when warm unless I give it gas AND sticky throttle cable/ITB's hanging. Gets worse when warm. A blip of the throttle fixes the hang.

Checked/lubed the cable seems alright. This weekend I'll partition cable vs ITB issue by separating them and see if rev's still hang. I know that pulling on the ITB controls still had revs hanging but I can't be certain that activating that control didn't pull the cable with it and the two were partitioned that way. Also I find some very minor vertical play in one of the butterflies. Two set screws are on tight.

Here is what the idle sounds like

Next courses of action:
    Take cable out and make sure there is no hanging/isolate it/check free play.
    Inspect hoses see if there is any air leaking past closed throttle causing hanging revs.
    Find out what IACV setup I have and whether I have TPS > check their operation.
    Look into the play in the butterfly and see if it's causing the issue and maybe hanging causing air to sneak past it.

Side note: If you're ever concerned with lack of heat in the car, take out the 6 screws holding the pedal box cover plate on. Lack of heat will not be a concern anymore. Been driving around without it while troubleshooting and it gets HOT.

Pending:
    New o2 has arrived and will be replaced.
    Adapter for fuel pressure gauge/tester is on the way.
    Last edited by Vovchandr; 06-10-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    2001 Caterham Superlight R

Here is the hard start up video when warm (you can hear fan turning on, I'm at operating temp.

It does start if I give it the gas while starting > throws black cloud of gas of the exhaust.

Also worth noting that my temperature has been abnormally low. I'm typically a little below 80, but have been close to 60 on the recent 130 mile highway stint.

I can't remember if this was mentioned before; is it possible the TPS has rotated slightly on the mounting screws and is no longer calibrated correctly? If so that would cause the map to effectively shift and supply the wrong fuel and timing for a given throttle opening. If you have the software connecting to the Pectel, it should be easy to check.

-John
    Westfield SEiW
    2.0L Duratec
    Throttle Steer

I keep coming back to the coolant temp.....My money is on the coolant temp sensor or a thermostat being stuck open. It's overfueling 'thinking' that it's in warm up mode all the time.

dave

Minor updates

Got the fuel gauge installed on the rail. Reading right around 50psi idle and while revving. From brief research seems a tiny bit high/normal, especially if I'm mapped properly for it.

Picture of the coolant temp, while at operating temp. I do have a lower temp thermostat put in, maybe I should switch it. Lower temp Tstat from my understanding should really effect much other than opening sooner but my operating temp should still be the same. It has been fluctuating overall. Normally it's right around 80, has crept up a little higher and this is now unusually low

As far as the ECU, does anybody know why I get this message?

""DESC does not have enough information to use maps currently in this ecu. If you have a different set of maps on disk, you may be able to reprogram the ecu with them. Do you want to try that""
    "DESC could not find a compatible profile. To use this ECU/MAP you will need a profile for T2v1-15:TPS/MAP fuel TPS lgn"

I do have a profile folder "T2 V1-15 NA" with "ADABAPAC.AAB" which I have deciphered should work for T2 and is NA profile.

So far I believe my sticky throttle/hanging rev's are due to a 1 butterfly in the ITB's sticking. Testing pending.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1265.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	15525  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1266.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	15526  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1268.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	15527  

Last edited by Vovchandr; 06-12-2019 at 11:36 AM.

I had similar cool running issues with my Duratec powered Caterham. The cooling system was an octopus of hoses heading to a 1.5" tube with three 5/8" branches. After looking over some info provided on this forum

(http://www.usa7s.net/vb/showthread.p...cooling+system)

and revising the system the T-stat now works properly and the engine maintains a constant temperature of 80C. I also ditched a few pounds of hoses and tubing .

If you are running cool enough to stay in the portion of the map that provides warm up enrichment you're going to get poor economy and not do the engine any good. Before you start replacing T-stats look at the routing of your cooling system. Maybe you have a similar issue?

Andy

Unless you are using huge injectors, the Duratecs run at 42-43 psi.