Thread: 2009 Birkin rear rotors?

Default 2009 Birkin rear rotors?

I have an '09 Birkin S3. I'm planning on doing several track days this year to sort out the suspension and any other bugs that we can find. I need to buy a spare set of brake rotors. I know I can order front rotors for a '95 VW Golf, but I can't find any rear rotors that match my measurements. It supposedly has MkV VW GTI rear calipers. Here are the rotor measurements:

Diameter: 9"
    Width: 0.4"
    Total height: ~1.25"
    Bolt pattern: 4x100mm

Any idea what would fit? I've looked at Miatas, Civics, Mini Coopers, MkIII Golf and none seem to be the same.

Thanks in advance.

Tom C on here is the US Birkin importer and all around good guy, I'd reach out to him, he probably has what you need in stock. Tom
    Mangia bene, Ridi spesso, Ama molto, Guidare veloce

2000 Caterham Superlight #123
    1.8L VHPD Rover K Series
    2009 Caterham SV
    2.3L Cosworth Duratec

Quote Originally Posted by yellowss7 View Post
    Tom C on here is the US Birkin importer and all around good guy, I'd reach out to him, he probably has what you need in stock. Tom
    Thanks. I've reached out. In the meantime, if anyone knows what they're off of, post it up!

I have a vague recollection of using either GTI or Golf rotors for my 2001. I had to turn the central hole a bit larger to fit the hub, but otherwise fit was no problem.

Randall

It makes sense to have spare "consumables". But I doubt very much that you will wear the rear brakes, or even the fronts, enough to need replacement, even after years of track days. One of the nicest aspects of our lightweight se7ens is they are very easy on tires, and brakes, unlike most of the other track day cars you will be running with.
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car

Quote Originally Posted by Kitcat View Post
    It makes sense to have spare "consumables". But I doubt very much that you will wear the rear brakes, or even the fronts, enough to need replacement, even after years of track days. One of the nicest aspects of our lightweight se7ens is they are very easy on tires, and brakes, unlike most of the other track day cars you will be running with.
    Fair. Gotta love light cars!

Quote Originally Posted by rzempel View Post
    I have a vague recollection of using either GTI or Golf rotors for my 2001. I had to turn the central hole a bit larger to fit the hub, but otherwise fit was no problem.
    It does seem like they are Golf rotors with some machine work done. Thanks, all for the help.

That makes sense: I know the Birkin rear calipers are VW with a little machining for clearance

You will have to get them from Tom. They start out as the unventilated front rotors from a ROW ‘98 Golf 1600. The backside is then machined down to a nominal 10.2mm (as I recall, the minimum rotor thickness stamped on the rim) from 12.5mm in order to fit within the caliper given the hub dimensions. The good news is that given the weight of the car and the fact that you will invariably have more front brake bias, they will probably last the life of the car.
    Last edited by papak; 03-03-2019 at 01:12 AM.

Come to think of it- I may have a spare set...