Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caterham 270S

11Budlite, what's your home track like? If it's somewhat tight and technical I don't suspect that you'd have any issues - biggest issue is that a serious track car will be set up a good deal different than a useable street car.

Even with my 485 and its 236 (call it 180 or so here at 7k ft above sea level) I hit a wall at 100mph, anything under that however and I have way more power than I need. Often more than I can use.

For road use there's something to be said for a caterham with a bit less power and a lot less tire.

Sorry, I just saw this. The closest tracks to me would be Lime Rock Park and Thompson in CT. Both of these are small road courses a little over 1.5 miles long IIRC. If I get the 270, or more probably the 310, it'll be more street oriented. I do have a RHD rolling chassis made by Vintage Racing Services in Stratford that I'm hoping to setup as a track car, possibly as a vintage race car. Still trying to decide what's the best way to go. Thanks for your input!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancefitzgiben View Post
    11Budlite, what's your home track like? If it's somewhat tight and technical I don't suspect that you'd have any issues - biggest issue is that a serious track car will be set up a good deal different than a useable street car.

Even with my 485 and its 236 (call it 180 or so here at 7k ft above sea level) I hit a wall at 100mph, anything under that however and I have way more power than I need. Often more than I can use.

For road use there's something to be said for a caterham with a bit less power and a lot less tire.
    Bruce

Keep in mind that a street oriented Caterham is still just a slightly civilized race car. And in my experience, a street Cat is easier to drive on the track than a full tilt race prepped Cat (I have tracked both). The street version is a bit softer and more forgiving but still telepathic and with sticky tires, the equal, or better, of everything you are likely to see at a track day, esp on the tight courses that you mention.
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car