Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aluma Tilt Trailer

I know that at least 2 or 3 seven owners have used Uhaul trailers to get their cars to NJMP. They have said that the trailer is pretty heavy and the caterham just fits width wise.

They all had to use ramps or board and some blocks to get the car on an off the trailer. But it can be done and there is always a lot of helpful guys at the event to ensure that your car gets on and off safely.

I had lunch with one of the guys yesterday before you posted, but we did actually discuss this. He said he did rent a truck too to haul it. He drives a Subaru SUV usually. Don't know if that was in play last year as it's a pretty new model. I agree with the above, check it out now to figure out what's needed. Good Luck Tom
    Mangia bene, Ridi spesso, Ama molto, Guidare veloce

2000 Caterham Superlight #123
    1.8L VHPD Rover K Series
    2009 Caterham SV
    2.3L Cosworth Duratec

I tried to rent a U-Haul once and was turned down because they didn't really know what a Caterham was and didn't want to take a chance that there would be problems. My solution was to call a separate U-haul dealer and ask to rent a trailer to haul my "Ford Focus". No problem.

As Seb and others can confirm, sometimes the U-Haul equipment is in very poor shape, with ratchets that are balky or tie-down straps that are too short, etc. If you go that route, check the tie down straps, and the air pressure in the trailer tires and monitor the wheel hubs (feel them at rest stops to see if they are over-heating). And be sure to have the U-Haul help #, and your cell phone.
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car

FYI
    The Aluma 6812 works perfectly just a touch of the undercarriage when loading and the car fits like a glove on the trailer

IMO this trailer is the perfect one for the Caterham, 3-4" each side, drive on tips horizontal drive off tips 30 degrees +/- no ramps to worry about
    Now I gotta find one near me

Iíve used U-Haul trailers several times.
    there are two versions of the same small car hauler: The older Painted trailer requires additional ramps to load a seven Due to under carriage clearance. the Newer galvanized trailer model does not.
    - see you in June.
    Pm me for additional details

I would try to get the new U-Haul trailer if you can. I picked my Cat up with the old style, and it was a little bit white knuckle getting it on and off. To get it on, I used ATV/motorcycle ramps that the seller had at his home, and to get it off I ended up finding a curb to back the trailer up to in order to get the integrated ramps at a more acceptable angle... The license plate bracket holder, of all things, was what was threatening my car's oil pan. Anyway, it all worked out in the end, and if you have additional ramps to use neither trailer should be an issue...

I managed to make this uhaul work
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180616_103444.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	15090

Would like better options however
    2001 Caterham Superlight R