Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ouch! Cam Lobe Damaged

I have a friend that own a small parts engineering company in WI, he has made over 35,000 TI retainers for a major manufacture without a single problem. I think it's an internet legend that just gets repeated many times unit it becomes a big problem.

Graham

Here we go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine Out.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	14860  

Last edited by ashyers; 12-16-2018 at 04:33 PM.

I talked to a Crane Engineer today and he stated Crane no longer makes the Duratec Cams and hasnt in some time so the only way to get any is being lucky and finding some old stock on the shelf somewhere

Tom

I guess we'll have time to go through the short block while we wait.... for cams.

At some point it would be fun to drive this thing .
    Last edited by ashyers; 12-19-2018 at 08:49 PM.

OK, the motor is nearly completely apart and I need some more help .

How are you guys at identifying pistons? These are fancy bits and I will likely need rings and possibly some spiral locks. They are gray in color and have no identifying marks. They're in OK shape and we plan on running them.

EDIT: Found 'em, they are Supertec pistons with a -20cc dish. This yields a CR of ~ 9:1 in the 2.3L. I'm thinking very seriously about replacing them with something that will get me up over 11:1. I have no idea how these ended up in the motor. Anyone need some turbo pistons?!

Name:	Skirt.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	14890  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	14891  

Name:	Bottom.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	14892  

Last edited by ashyers; 12-21-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Here's the crown:

Name:	Top2.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	14893  

Name:	Top1.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	14894  

Last edited by ashyers; 12-19-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Wow , 9.1 NA will have you WAY down on power , What do you want for them , I could use them do Turbo 2.0 and 2.3 Builds all the time

Tom

Tom,
    I suspect we could work out a deal for the pistons. Do you have anything you would like to trade that may be useful for the rebuild?! Send me a PM.

Andy

Update:
    Things are still moving forward, just a bit slowly. We've totally torn down cleaned and inspected the engine. Parts are taking a bit longer than expected to arrive, but I'm assured they are on the way . Essentially we're redoing everything. One of my students compared this engine to a Russian nested doll. He said whenever we pull something apart we find something else wrong! Unfortunately he's right. The good news is that there's nothing left to pull apart...

I'm hopeful that by next week we can drop off the block and head for some machining and maybe have the motor back in the chassis by February. We'll see! Rebuilding an engine and sorting a car with high school students is not always fast, but it is always interesting!

The help I've received from this forum has been great. I really appreciate it.

Andy

The worst part of rebuilding one of these is that the manufacturer never intended for it to be rebuilt. No key ways, etc. Drill out the plugs from the oil journals and tap them for brass plugs. It’s the only way to assure that they are clean.