Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BDR oil leaks

It seems that you guys are approaching this from a purely "BDR" perspective. How does Porsche manage this? Many more seams and seals in an air-cooled motor and most Porsche owners are pretty compulsive about the purity of their garage floor. The same for Ferrari as well. Maybe call the guys at Quicksilver and ask them. I ran an Accusump on a track car for a number of years and used a manual ball valve to shut off the accusump prior to shutdown. It never leaked and I never had to question whether an electrically activated valve was functioning correctly. While it's not exactly the same application, perhaps this approach might work. More positive control than a spring loaded check valve. On the other hand, there are a number of truly essential check-valve controlled functions in aircraft that are very reliable. Maybe check Aircraft Spruce.
    Last edited by papak; 10-26-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Itís funny, Iím doing the same exact thing today- tracing oil leaks on the left side of my dry sump bdr. I had repaired one already- the oil return sleeve was improperly Ďgluedí and ill fitting to the head. JB weld to the rescue. I see my catch can might be the culprit of some of the other mess, but some fresh oil on the accessory gears.
    BDR 7

In the two pictures attached, are the oil return valve in the front left if you are facing forward (above the headers). The one picture shows red glue that didn’t hold. The other, the sleeve that no longer fits to the head that I could pull right out. So far the JB weld has solved the issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51F1865F-5D04-41EF-B701-97C8C0E58A9A.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	14695  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6C37F6FC-F567-40DA-B8B9-426AF65E322E.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	14694  

BDR 7