Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil cooler for a zetec Caterham?

I've been told that billet oil pump gears are important for Zetecs that are used at high rpm. Mine has them and seems to hold oil pressure well.
    2003 Birkin

Quote Originally Posted by Kitcat View Post
    Randall: Where did you get your oil pump and was it for a Zetec SVT? Parts for it seem can be hard to source.
    It was several years ago, when Zetec parts were more easily sourced. It was/is a "Ford Racing" part that I sourced from Ford Performance.

Randall

Kit at, sorry about the slow response. 30 to 40 miles is probably not enough to get a meaningful reading from a used oil analysis.

Kitcat. Darned spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    I've been told that billet oil pump gears are important for Zetecs that are used at high rpm. Mine has them and seems to hold oil pressure well.
    The main reason for the billet gears is that the stock gears are made of powdered metal and can shatter. The oil pump on a Zetec (wet sump) is around the nose of the crankshaft and subjected to second order vibrations from the four cylinder. This is especially a problem if a the crank balancer (pulley) is replaced with a lightweight aluminum pulley. The front pulley on a Zetec a fairly crude harmonic balancer, but it does absorb some of the vibration that might transfer to the oil pump gears and cause a catastrophic failure.

Interestingly enough...NA and NB Miatas can suffer the same problem....if the engines are run in the upper 7000 rpm range and up and the pulley is replaced.

The comment about the oil pressure relief valve bears attention also. As with a lot of engines, it is a steel piston running up and down in an aluminum housing (part of the oil pump in a Zetec). The the piston sticks halfway, it can cause oil pressure to be higher than normal with cold because it doesn't release excess pressure, and lower when hot because it acts like an internal oil leak. It doesn't take much trash or gaulliing of the aluminum to cause the piston not to move up and down as it should.
    2000, 2002 Caterham 7 America
    2005 Cayenne Turbo Powerkit
    1975 2002 DTM
    Lola T596 S2