Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Met my hero today and was utterly dissapointed

Default Met my hero today and was utterly dissapointed

Finally got a chance to sit in a newer base spec. S3 chassis Caterham at a dealership and was utterly dissapointed. It's been a dream of mine to own one but having tried one on for size, I don't think that'll happen.

Albeit this base model didn't have lowered floors and standard cloth seats, my knees were pressed hilariously against the dash. My hopes were to fit like a glove, nope. Width was perfect, toe box was a little snug but bearable, but my long inseam was at fault. I'm 6'5'' 170lb with most of my height in my legs.

Been set on an S3 specifically, don't like the SV much for how goofy it looks compared to the original S3, and just don't want a possibly more spacious replica.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1432.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	14248  

Perhaps surgery to shorten your legs?

If you want to get into a 7, you're probably stuck buying an SV or similar chassis.

Good luck!
    - Brunton Storker, LS3, Chassis 159

Check out my build:
    http://www471.pair.com/stalkerv/gall...2_itemId=30849

Were the pedals in "standard" position? Many of these cars have adjustable pedal boxes to accommodate folks like you. Iirc Carl is similarly vertically challenged and fit into Orange. I know of other tall people squeezing into Birkins so I believe it can generally be done.

Quote Originally Posted by susej1981 View Post
    ...... don't like the SV much for how goofy it looks compared to the original S3, and just don't want a possibly more spacious replica.
    Thoughts?.......
    My thoughts are that you should have your knees cut off for calling the SV "...goofy...."!

Maybe if you tried one, your opinion would change?
    Taber
    2007 Caterham 7 SV

Quote Originally Posted by Taber10 View Post
    My thoughts are that you should have your knees cut off for calling the SV "...goofy...."!

Maybe if you tried one, your opinion would change?
    Taber
    Maybe, not totally throwing the option of an SV out the window, but it's the original smaller chassis I fell in love with. If I got an SV, I'd immediately want to start customizing it to make it look less wide (ex. stripe down the middle, black fenders, etc.) Cut my knees a foot shorter and we have a deal?

To be honest I don't know. This is the exact car I sat in, maybe someone can tell looking at the car?

Specs. say it has a lowered floor but pretty sure I remember the salesman saying it didn't have one. Also the for sale photos look like it isn't equipped with one.

https://www.hillbankusa.com/vehicles...rham-seven-280
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	252cb452c8e_hd_2015-caterham-seven-280.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	14249  

I had a similar experience the first time I sat in an S3. the dealer took out the seat bottom and put in a piece of foam. That allowed me to get lower in the car and legs no longer hit the steering wheel. I'm only 6'1" though.

I now have an S3 and an SV. I like the snug fit of the S3 but do appreciate the bigger footwell of the SV. The SV has lowered floors and the prior owner was 6'8".

I built a foam bead seat for the S3 which is only a bead or two thick and that really helped get me lower and avoid the knee banging the steering wheel. Maybe you should go back and pull out the seat bottom cushion and try it again. Good luck. Tom
    Mangia bene, Ridi spesso, Ama molto, Guidare veloce

2000 Caterham Superlight #123
    1.8L VHPD Rover K Series
    2009 Caterham SV
    2.3L Cosworth Duratec

No lowered floors on that one.
    Mangia bene, Ridi spesso, Ama molto, Guidare veloce

2000 Caterham Superlight #123
    1.8L VHPD Rover K Series
    2009 Caterham SV
    2.3L Cosworth Duratec

Quote Originally Posted by susej1981 View Post
    . . . This is the exact car I sat in . . . https://www.hillbankusa.com/vehicles...rham-seven-280
    That’s a great looking car. And, how much is knee surgery?

On a somewhat more serious note, lowered floor pans may provide you with that ‘fit like a glove’ quality you were hoping for. So, buy the car with lowered floor pans, save the knees, and perhaps offer up a round of drinks for our ‘goofy’ SV-driving brethren to remain in good standing.
    Last edited by xcarguy; 06-27-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    Stalker V8, chassis #85

Stalker Chassis #85 Build Gallery
    Stalker Chassis #85 Owner Thread

Get up in the morning and give the day your very best. You donít get it back.

May I suggest you try sitting in a Birkin S3? Same overall dimensions as the Cat S3, but the pedal box has a large adjustment range.

Welcome to the club....I'm 6' 4 1/2" and I don't fit in a small Seven. I do fit in the big Birkin and the Westfield that I ended up buying and building.

dave