Thread: 3rd brake light

Default 3rd brake light

I'm planning to put a third brake light on my roll bar to slightly reduce the chance of a soccer mom rolling over me in a 6000 lb. suv.

My car is an '87 so I don't have connectors for the tail lights so my plan was to get a 12" LED light bar and just tap into the wiring going to either the left or right tail lights. Seem like a sound plan or would I be better off running dedicated wiring from the brake light switch?

The list of little things this car needs never seems to get any shorter.
    '87 Caterham Cosworth BDR 1700 "HPC Spec"

Tap into an existing brake light wire...easiest course of action.
    Last edited by xcarguy; 05-07-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    Stalker V8, chassis #85

Stalker Chassis #85 Build Gallery
    Stalker Chassis #85 Owner Thread

Get up in the morning and give the day your very best. You donít get it back.

More effort, but I wired mine into a brake flashing module that rapidly flashes the light 3 times before going solid. A little annoying for those behind me, but it definitely gets their attention.

-John
    Westfield SEiW
    2.0L Duratec
    Throttle Steer

I installed a custom dynamics CHMSL (ST6126ARACPT) 24LED version in my roll bar with connectors tucked into end of roll bar. This ties into the rear chassis loom to provide running, brake, & turn signals.
    Very happy so far
    Last edited by wemtd; 05-07-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Flashing brake light seems very effective. Seen a few in the streets and definitely gets good attention. We'll start working on the Caterham right after we finished installing the new rack and tonneau cover for the kayak mount on the truck. We'll consider getting as 12" 3rd brake light as well.

I HATE blinking brake lights. It does get attention, but it's a distraction. Most of them turn on every time you depress the brake. If you could have it only turn on with a significant braking event then it would make sense. Maybe a pressure switch on the brake line?

Daniel

Given the risk to a se7en and its passengers from just a minor rear impact, I'm fine with displeasing the person behind me to reduce that risk. Besides, people are often so interested in these cars, I don't think the annoyance factor is as high as with a normal vehicle.

The proof to me that this setup makes a difference came with dissuading tailgaters who were trying to get a better look at the Westfield. Before the blinking module was added, it would usually take 2-3 taps of the brakes to get the person to clue in and back off. These days I rarely have to hit them more than once.

-John
    Westfield SEiW
    2.0L Duratec
    Throttle Steer

John,
    You make a good point. My annoyance is more with standard sedans having these flashing brake lights. It's probably a good bet on these oversized gokarts.

Daniel