Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choice of Fords?

Apparently I imagined the clams. Hey 2 out of 3 isn't bad when it comes to my "memory"....
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car

That's a sweet Caterham!
    I'd be most interested in the BDA myself if I were looking.
    One thing, I think Croc's logic includes the Car, the BDA and the Crossflow. I'd subtract the cost of the crossflow ($3k?) from those numbers.

Good luck!

Stewart-
    Glad to hear your progressing and sorry about your limited use of the Caterham. It certainly is a pretty car.

Gotta agree with Croc that you'd probably get more $ out of it selling the car with the crossflow in it and then the BDA seperately.

I'd consider posting the BDA for sale on Apexspeed. Always a Chevron owner or some vintage formula car/sports racer looking for one. SVRA website, Vintage Motorsports etc...

Jim A

Thanks to everybody for suggestions and comments and thanks to Escondidoron for posting the pictures of the Caterham in it’s natural, if somewhat unusual, setting of a damp SoCal day. I’ll get some more pictures taken and post on the for sale section in the near future.

I see that Crocís for sale thread lists a BDR powered Ď 94 Caterham for $37,750. Itís not as nice as yours Stewart, so maybe that is a rough guide to your carís value with the current engine? It is an asking price, and is listed by Wire Wheel, a huge dealer, so not saying thatís what you could get, just a rough starting point.

Thanks Kitcat,
    The same seller has a couple of Caterhams for sale at the moment. I'm trying to get some time to finish up the video footage of mine before I advertise it. Ironically it's actually had a bit more use recently, having been out few times with my GoPro strapped to various parts of the car.
    The advertised BDR suggests it's a "detuned" BDA. I'm not quite sure what that is, I would classify mine as a bit warmer than Caterham's original "BDR" spec (I believe Caterham ran standard bottom ends on their original "BD" engines) and I'm intending to advertise mine at around $34k
    There is a useful resource for Cosworth history here https://historicmotorsportcentral.co...rth-bd-engine/

Sure would love to hear your engine at 8600 rpm's!
    If you have dyno hp sheet I'd post it as part of sales photos. If you don't, maybe have it tested? Is the 190 hp at the rear wheels or at the flywheel?
    The fascinating link to Cosworth shows the BDA was a 1600 cc engine making 120 hp. Yours is 1734 cc and makes 190 hp. Is it a souped up BDA, or a later BD version?
    Does it have dry sump or Accusump?
    I think the $34K price would make it pretty tempting.
    Last edited by Kitcat; 05-21-2018 at 08:56 AM.

If I had remembered to switch on the external microphone the last time I was out I would have had the BD howl on video. Interestingly I put the GoPro on the back of my wife’s RAV4, with just it’s internal mic, while I captured some passing shots and it actually worked quite well (not much wind noise and picked up the Caterham passing at ~5000rpm).
    i have quicksilver’s Dyno sheets for the BD and it was 190 at the flywheel.

it’s a dry sump without an accusump but the capillary oil pressure gauge has never indicated an issue cornering and I have a 20psi low oil pressure sensor wired to a very bright external warning light for track-day peace of mind.