Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To those that have Brooklands aeroscreens

Quote Originally Posted by scannon View Post
    Is it possible that turning the bracket/mount 180* and remounting the Brooklands would clear the wiper shafts?
    Hmmm, I'll take a look.
    Life happens while you're making other plans
    1995 Caterham Crossflow RHD
    2013 Mini (Her's)

Quote Originally Posted by m wirth View Post
    Has anyone mounted Brooklands on an Ultralite? I like my Lexan shields but when driving in the late afternoon, headed west, no matter how clean they look all those tiny little scratches make it next to impossible to see, so I just park it 'til the sun is out of the way or head another direction. It's really bad on twisty mountain road going from shade to sun in face.
    Pick up some Lexan polish and get rid of the scratches and you'll be all set. The stuff works well.

dave

I haven't used lexan polish, which may be most appropriate for this. However I *have* used the 3M version of headlight clarifying goop (my terminology) and it works great. It comes with several grades of grit and you sequentially use the finer ones. The reason I bring this up is that, if your scratches are deep, it may save a lot of labor getting deep scratches out. For scratches rather than yellowed plastic, I would recommend not using the two coarsest grades; just skip over them and use the finer grades.

I've done 3 cars' headlight covers and it works great for that application. I would stay away from the various off brands and stay with 3M. Or, you could try the lexan polish first, and if that doesn't work, go for the coarser grit at that time.

PS lexan is polycarbonate. Plexiglass is poly methyl methacrylate. Lexan is better for this application (harder and tougher).
    Dan
    Westfield SEiW
    Done building, now grinning

My (expensive) Caterham-spec Brooklands screen bolted right into the spot vacated by the full Cat windshield-no drilling necessary, no interference. I loved them on my street Cat-cockpit was quieter, cooler, and there was less air resistance. Plus they look so cool. Downside: no top/side screens. Since I have a race Cat now, with a small fiberglass aero screen, my Brooklands are for sale. Shoot me an email if interested.
    Last edited by Kitcat; 02-09-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car

Mike - sent you an email.

Steve

My Brooklands are now sold. I was amazed to learn that the price from the Cat parts store has fallen by about 60%, or more, in the 6-7 years since I bought them.
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car

Quick question- do people do this on licensed street driven cars. I'm thinking of doing the swap, but am wondering about inspection etc. here in Maine. I haven't spoken to the fellow that inspects my car yet.

In PA. windshields at least 11 inches high are required for state inspection. I have my brookland screens mounted to the band that Caterham sells, and it attaches to the Scuttle with two bolts on each side where the normal screen attaches. I made a couple of brackets from some aluminum angle iron that attach with the same bolts and I've mounted some motorcycle mirrors to them.

That allows me to quickly and easily switch between the two different screens. One for the track and the other for the road. Tom
    2000 Caterham Superlight #123
    1.8L VHPD Rover K Series
    2009 Caterham SV
    2.3L Cosworth Duratec

In Montana we have no inspection. The law does not state that you need a windshield but it does say that if you have one over a given size that you need to have wipers.

It's legal to use small personal 4-wheelers on the road here and use hand signals - it really is the wild west and if it rolls people will use it on the road....at speed....with a beer in one hand and a cell phone in the other.

I've had cops look at and admire my car but they've never mentioned the lack of windscreen.

dave