Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ongoing electrical problem - anyone want a challenge! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JPS Europa View Post
    As long as you have the wires hooked up, measure the resistance in that line.
    Do you mean the 12v? if so, that resistance was basically nothing. As far as I could tell, it's sound.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCh View Post
    Another thing to try -- and someone please correct me if this is a bad idea -- is to jump start the car.
    OK as long as the battery in the car being jump started isn’t a lithium ion.
    Last edited by xcarguy; 12-13-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    Stalker V8, chassis #85

Stalker Chassis #85 Build Gallery
    Stalker Chassis #85 Owner Thread

Get up in the morning and give the day your very best. You donít get it back.

I back probed the ECU cables. I used the ford green book wiring diagram to figure which was which. Tested them and learned that they go to their own cables that are attached to the battery. + and - have their own.

If the - is disconnected, it doesn't affect the start, so it must be getting it's - connection some other way. The manual says there's more than one -

I cranked it with the probes on a volt meter, and it dipped as low as 7.5v whether or not it started. As usual the no-start was caused by the AF gauge being powered up. Still don't know what's pulling it the ECU voltage down so low, but I've about reached my level of competence and am wondering if anyone can recommend a place in Atlanta that would take a look at it? Most mechanics panic if i mention kit car, so I'm looking for someone who might want to have a go.

Thanks

I changed the starter motor since that's been a recommendation elsewhere from another Caterham person saying a bad starter pulled so much juice that it reset the ECU on cranking. I wasnt very hopeful, and it made no difference.

The problem appears to be getting worse. It's often failing to start with nothing connected now.

So, if anyone knows a place in Atlanta i can bring it, I'm happy to hear your recommendations?

thanks

Wish I was closer

Tom

Well, I'm moving to Asheville in a few months, so I'll be a bit closer to you. If it's not fixed by then, I'll come by.

Lots of great se7ens roads near Ashville!
    '97 Caterham Super Sprint, 1700 Crossflow-sold
    '09 Birkin S3, Duratec-sold
    '03 Caterham Zetec track car

Quote Originally Posted by Kitcat View Post
    Lots of great se7ens roads near Ashville!
    Looking forward to it!

Hi, all

I think it's finally fixed, so I want to record the outcome for now and for any future sufferers of this vexing issue!

The car went to Motor Cars of Georgia, the Lotus, McLaren and other expensive cars dealer in north Atlanta. Their mechanic diagnosed the issue as related to the PATS (passive anti-theft system). Since he's used to Lotus and even McLaren earthing issues (even new McLarens have these) he found that during the non-start at least one of the switched earth pins on the ECU was not switching to earth meaning the coil wasn't functional.

This was intermittent so it took a while, but long story short, something about the aluminium chassis being used as earth was interfering with the PATS 'halo' (sensor) and triggering the system. His solution was pretty easy, he moved the sensor as far from the under-dashboard wiring as he could, shielded its cable with aluminium tape, and fixed the sensor to a clean area on the bulkhead.

It has not 100% fixed the issue when the AF gauge is on, in that half the time it won't start, but it has 100% fixed it when the gauge is off. Previously, the car was often hard to start when the gauge was off so I'll call this a win.

Turbotom helped out so additional thanks to him.

So the moral of the story, is keep your PATS sensor away from wires if you're using Focus hardware!

When designing the first Z06 aluminum frame it was found that the electrical grounds attached at the riv-nuts connections would build up an oxide between the aluminum and the riv-nut case. The solution was new drive screws and an 18mm thick aluminum button welded to the chassis for all the electrical grounds. If you have an aluminum chassis, extra care is needed when making grounding attachments because of the oxide layer on the aluminum. Dave W