Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All I want for Christmas is my PA registration, 14 months and several $k later...

Quote Originally Posted by xcarguy View Post
    Congrats, yeti. And I really like the aero front bumper.
    Thanks. I figured that if I had to do it; I'd make it look the best I could, since I know it was pretty much worthless as a bumper.

Hi,
    I just joined the forum (long time Lotus fan and looking for a nice 7 (either Lotus or Caterham) at some point), but have a registration question I hope you can help with. I've just moved from CA to PA (close to Harrisburg) and shipped over my Lancia Stratos replica that I built and registered in CA. It's still on it's CA title and plates, but I will need to switch over to PA registration at some point. Looking at the DMV website, it seemed like a straight forward enough process, but seeing this thread has me thinking I need to be a bit more thoughtful about it.
    Can I ask, based on your experience, the best approach to take for inspection, what I should take care of beforehand, etc

Thanks a lot

Paul

I would recommend using an enhanced inspection station that has dealt with your type (kit/replica) of car before. I would look at the list on the website and start by calling them first. The shop I used pretty much had only done hot rods before. I used them because they were close and I knew them. Not the best way to choose but it worked out in the long run. good luck.

Thanks - appreciate the advice.
    Love your car by the way
    Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ploughna View Post
    Hi,
    I just joined the forum (long time Lotus fan and looking for a nice 7 (either Lotus or Caterham) at some point), but have a registration question I hope you can help with. I've just moved from CA to PA (close to Harrisburg) and shipped over my Lancia Stratos replica that I built and registered in CA. It's still on it's CA title and plates, but I will need to switch over to PA registration at some point. Looking at the DMV website, it seemed like a straight forward enough process, but seeing this thread has me thinking I need to be a bit more thoughtful about it.
    Can I ask, based on your experience, the best approach to take for inspection, what I should take care of beforehand, etc

Thanks a lot

Paul
    Paul,

PA uses "PA licensed" Notary services for the title swap. My sound advice as an Ex-PA resident who titled more than my fair share of "replicas" (mostly Cobra and Lotus 7's), is that you do a straight title swap first. Once title is in hand you can then get a set of plates and valid registration. Keep it simple, do not use the word kit or replica while at the notary office as to throw up a red flag of any kind. PA should take your CA title at face value, regardless of whether it was done using the SPCNS (and SB100) process or not.

Bill

Hi Bill,
    That sounds like a good approach. It is a SPCNS (under SB100), so I'm wondering if your approach works out, what that will mean for emissions requirements (I do need that exemption). My current CA title shows Model YR: 0000, Make: SPCNS. Actual title issue date was 2014 (year I completed the build). Should that SPCNS designation just copy over onto the new title and automatically exempt me from emissions?
    Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ploughna View Post
    Hi Bill,
    That sounds like a good approach. It is a SPCNS (under SB100), so I'm wondering if your approach works out, what that will mean for emissions requirements (I do need that exemption). My current CA title shows Model YR: 0000, Make: SPCNS. Actual title issue date was 2014 (year I completed the build). Should that SPCNS designation just copy over onto the new title and automatically exempt me from emissions?
    Regards
    Paul
    Paul,

Before you go get your title, you'll need a letter from the California DMV office explaining the "0000" model year to the PA DMV. Even using the same notary, I've had to submit a copy of the letter to the PA MVS office each time.

Bill S.
    Last edited by mrmustang; 11-26-2017 at 07:26 PM.

The bumpers look like they were part of the original design, they look great! Enjoy.
    2003 Birkin

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    The bumpers look like they were part of the original design, they look great! Enjoy.
    Thanks. I am just glad that they didn't ask me to have them pass a crash test!

HaHa, mine were taped on. For some reason they fell off before my first drive. Hope you are out enjoying it today. Tom
    Mangia bene, Ridi spesso, Ama molto, Guidare veloce

2000 Caterham Superlight #123
    1.8L VHPD Rover K Series
    2009 Caterham SV
    2.3L Cosworth Duratec