Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004 WCM S2K for sale by editor of our Super Seven Manual

Beautiful, well-sorted car, Bruce. Someone will get a fantastic ride.
    xcarguy

Rise of the 'Super Chicken'...a Somewhat 'Suave' Story
    http://www471.pair.com/stalkerv/gall...g2_itemId=5938

Live life with passion; history has proven there’s no getting out of it alive.

Default Youtub video of the blue 2004 WCMS2K at a Waterford raceway HPDE event

2004 Ultralite S2K, Honda S2000 drivetrain, transverse & differential brace upgrades, twin-pump anti-surge fuel cell, Mugen baffled oil sump, Canton oil accumulator
    1982 Porsche 930 "Flachbau" with Kremer 935 "Le Mans" slopenose, built G50 trans, supercharged 964 motor, 2,500 lbs, 425 hp

EX:
    2007 Backdraft Racing Roadster, Roush 402, race suspension, big Wilwood brake kit
    2008 Lotus Exige S2, Proalloy Chargecooler, 346 hp
    1993 Caterham, 1.8 liter Cosworth
    1991 Caterham, 1.7 liter crossflow
    1995 Mazda RX-7
    1987 Dodge Shelby Charger, turbocharged,
    Yokohamas
    1976 Triumph TR-6, Paris blue
    1963 Mini-Cooper S 1071 cc
    1964 Jaguar XKE drophead coupe, BRG with sea green interior

". . . breakin' up is hard to do" Neil Sedaka

Here's an email response I submitted to an interested party. It contains important info on the car:

"Compared to a Honda S2000 sports car, the WCM S2K has more driver's side interior room, and many more potential seat and belt adjustments, but also a bit less passenger hip room. This is due to the use of a narrower seat on the passenger side, in order to allow more hip room for the driver. This adjustability was a design imperative, as competition drivers of all sizes must find relaxed, purposeful positions in their WCM S2K. The WCM S2K has an illustrious race record, including podium finishes in many lengthy enduros and more - these accomplishments are not acquired without properly accommodating the driver.

World Class Motorsports is not currently producing these cars. Production ended just short of 100 vehicles. However, nearly every part is a stock item from Summit Racing, Wilwood, Honda, Subaru and more, or can be readily fabricated. A significant exception is the hood. Lorren (the WCM manufacturer) has several hoods in stock, and also the molds, so hoods can be produced on demand, including in carbon fiber if you MUST shed those final few pounds. However, except in the case of a significant collision, the hood is fiberglass and eminently repairable. And if the collision is more than significant, the car will likely be totaled, so the issue is moot.

On the fabbing front, I cracked an upper front a-arm about two years ago. I pulled the a-arm off the other side, and had a local shop produce a mirror image, using slightly stronger steel, for about $150. The crack was detected on a weekend, and the car was back on the road by the following weekend. Think of the WCM S2K as a race car for the road. Most parts are available from speed shops, and the rest from major manufacturers like Honda and Subaru. In addition, our comprehensive manual provides parts lists and detailed repair instructions. This puts the WCM S2K, though out of production, head and shoulders above every Caterham, new or old. Caterhams (and Birkins, Westfields, Donkevoorts and many other Seven variants) rely on multitudes of proprietary parts. I have owned several Caterhams, and the delays and expense of ordering parts from England was a frequent nightmare. That was one of the reasons I chose the WCM S2K when I elected to get back behind the wheel of a Seven - parts availability."
    Last edited by Bruce K; 10-26-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    2004 Ultralite S2K, Honda S2000 drivetrain, transverse & differential brace upgrades, twin-pump anti-surge fuel cell, Mugen baffled oil sump, Canton oil accumulator
    1982 Porsche 930 "Flachbau" with Kremer 935 "Le Mans" slopenose, built G50 trans, supercharged 964 motor, 2,500 lbs, 425 hp

EX:
    2007 Backdraft Racing Roadster, Roush 402, race suspension, big Wilwood brake kit
    1995 Mazda RX-7
    Yokohamas

BUMP to the top of the list for the best looking WCM Ultralite on the planet!
    Mike

Is that your Cobra as well? Did you buy it over the last couple of years and is it an FFR with a Mach 1 supercharged motor in it? Sure does look like the one I owned a couple years back... Rich
    Last edited by spitfun; 11-02-2017 at 08:31 AM.

I owned that Backdraft Racing Roadster with 402 CI Roush motor, BMW suspension, Wilwood big brake kit for about 5 years. Lot's of fun, but my Super Seven was just as fast, cornered better, and was more fun because it required less effort and attention to drive. 2 sports cars is my limit, because I can't get enough saddle time in more than 2 sports cars. I sold the Backdraft and went looking for a very particular Porsche. Once I found it, it took exactly (to the day) 6 months and 100 emails to conclude the purchase. A very unique car, quite similar to my Seven in many respects - small footprint, very light, big power, huge brakes - see images above.

EX:
    1995 Mazda RX-7
    Yokohamas

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
    I owned that Backdraft Racing Roadster with 402 CI Roush motor, BMW suspension, Wilwood big brake kit for about 5 years. Lot's of fun, but my Super Seven was just as fast, cornered better, and was more fun because it required less effort and attention to drive. 2 sports cars is my limit, because I can't get enough saddle time in more than 2 sports cars. I sold the Backdraft and went looking for a very particular Porsche. Once I found it, it took exactly (to the day) 6 months and 100 emails to conclude the purchase. A very unique car, quite similar to my Seven in many respects - small footprint, very light, big power, huge brakes - see images above.
    Bruce, As a former owner of a Cobra clone car and a sevenesque car, you have reinforced an issue that had been told to me and reportedly was personified by a group of Cobra owners excluding Sevens due to being badly shown up in a racing venue. I have long admired Shelby's design but have come to recognize that for a fraction of the cost, I can own a car that is as fast and can in some circumstances handle better than a Cobra or clone. OTOH, it is a real testament to cottage manufacturing in the USA that FFR has done so exceptionally well in the kit car business.

Agreed on FFR. Also agreed that a properly set-up Seven, compared to an equivalent Cobra, will likely outhandle the Cobras. The suspensions are similar, and the hp-to-weight are similar, but the Cobra weighs a lot more - usually about twice the weight. That's the biggest difference, to my mind. Remember, a Seven has 80% of the tread width and swept brake area, but only about 50% of the weight. That makes a huge difference at the end of every straight - the Seven can keep up on all but the longest straights, but needs only one-half to two-thirds of the brake zone. On tracks with very long straights, like Grattan outside of Grand Rapids MI, the advantage of the Seven's light weight is somewhat mitigated by lack of aero.

For anyone interested in purchasing my Seven, I will provide a report from a certified auto appraiser indicating a value of $35,000. Super Sevens are considered collector cars, plus the title reads "1966 LOTUS", providing a legal age of over 30 years, even though the car was built in 2004. The titular age and the appraisal will enable you to get 7 to 10 year collector car financing at low rates. In fact, you may be able to finance the entire purchase.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	super seven waterford 8-30-2014 (31).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	13511  

EX:
    1995 Mazda RX-7
    Yokohamas

I was drooling over this car when the previous owner had it listed and you beat me to it. I actually had it as my background for a while. Beautiful car just out of my price range unfortunately. GLWS

Well, see what you can work out. I am about to list it on Ebay for a higher price. The current price continues to apply for USA7's members only. Good luck!

EX:
    1995 Mazda RX-7
    Yokohamas